Replacing Disco Springs and Dampers

I intend to change the springs and dampers on my 1991 Tdi Disco. The books say to raise the chassis and prop it up on axle stands then use the jack to raise and lower the axle. I have a 2 tonne trolley jack from Machine Mart that lifts the Disco no problem but the lowering is very difficult to control. I am worried that when lowering the axle it goes too far and rips off my brake lines!

A transmission jack of some kind would be the expensive answer - any other suggestions how I could raise and lower the axle in a controlled fashion?

Thanks

Duncan

Reply to
Duncan

I tried this and found I couldn't lower the axles nearly far enough. I would suggest spring compressors, but don't buy the Machine Mart ones, as they will bend and could be quite dangerous.

David.

Reply to
David French

Allegedly, your honour.

;-)

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

On or around Tue, 7 Oct 2003 22:37:34 +0100, "David French" enlightened us thusly:

What was stopping 'em? You might have to disconnect the dampers, and watch out for the flexi brake hoses.

did the front springs and dampers on the 110 without compressors, no obvious problems. For front springs, you've got to undo the dampers anyway, even if you're not changing 'em.

likely to do the rear ones before too long, as I reckon they're getting pretty tired. I suspect it'll want a rad before that though

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Don't ask how I worked this out.........

REMEMBER TO UNDO THE ANTI-ROLL BAR!!!!!!!

Reply to
<metalthrasher