Peugeot 306 Clutch Needs Replacing

Hi, I have a Peugeot 306 1996 XLD.

Recently took it to a garage as sometimes its 'difficult' to put it in first & sometimes you have to depress the clutch twice to put it into reverse. but other than that its fine. Garage said i needed new clutch and cost was =A3577, after shopping around i got a quote for =A3300.

Im saving for travelling and this is a big dent, I would like to do this myself, i realise you need to suspend the engine and drop the gear box, do you think you could do it with just those ramps you place on floor and drive up or do you need a pit? & do you think a very logical person could do this, i have read alot about how to replace a clutch and am considering doing it. Anything to watch out for if i do decide to do it?

any help is really appreciated thank you.

Jon

Reply to
jonsly

First thing is where do you live? you can do it by just undoing the gear box bellhouseing and leaveing the engine hanging there on the mounts, you can put it up on ramps or just jack it up and support it with stands.it is a easy good if you have done them before but if u have not it can be a pain in the arse, all i will say is TAKE YOUR TIME DOING THE JOB,good luck.

Reply to
Chris

You have to remove both drive shafts, which means moving both road wheels, so you cannot use ramps. You will have to jack it up, and place axle stands under the body. This is enough clearance to get the gearbox out the front when on the ground. Invest in a Haynes manual for the 306, as this covers it quite well. You do not have to remove the driveshafts from the wheel hub. You will need a solid leangth of wood to place across the car to support the engine while you drop the gearbox off, and also a pulley to lower the box is easier than using a trolley jack underneath, though sometimes both used together help, particularly when lining the box up to get it back on. I think I may be doing the same on our old 306, but hoping a new clutch cable might suffice for a short while.

Reply to
Brian

unless you can hold the box up .if there is 2-3 ppl helping its is very easy to do a clutch on any car or van

Reply to
Chris

Hello, Personally I would replace the clutch cable first, they run under the exhaust manifold and the lubrication dries out. Unless the clutch is slipping (friction plate) or squeeling (release bearing) that is.

Paul

Reply to
P A Latham

Price seems excessive based on experience. This year/last year (can't remember which!) I had it done on our 1998 1.4l 306 at my local Peugeot dealers in Aldershot. Total cost? £250 inc VAT and a nice clean too. At the time it was the cheapest place I found.

David Hearn