Replacing Windscreen Seal

Morning,

I've got to replace the windscreen seal on my LR90. I have the replacement here ready to install. However, I've not done this before and would like some guidance. I've had a trawl round on the web but not found anything that shows the process.

Can anybody help with any relevant links to instructions please - I'm fed up with wet feet!

Regards,

Reply to
Richard

do you mean the actual seal that holds the glass in? I tried doing mine but ended up breaking the glass. In the end I got autoglass out to do it, didnt cost much. It looked so simple to do, bit of string..... Richard

Reply to
Richard

In the couple of screens that I've had out and in its been chips in the screen that have grown into a big crack that have ruined the screen. But with new screens a bit of lube on the rubber and some nylon string and it's gone well.

Reply to
jOn

I was in the same position a few months ago, but I found good instructions regarding fitting screens to a jeep or toyota - but I can't find them anymore!

You need to get the screen out in one piece. Can't tell you how to do it, because mine was broke for a start ;-)

You'll need thin cord, enough to go all the way around the screen. I used vaseline as well.

So, take your old screen out (sounds easy, doesn't it!), fit the new rubber to your screen (this bit is easy), coat other groove in seal with vaseline, press cord into groove, make sure your two end meet underneath the centre of the screen.

Get a helper, have them position the screen outside the vehicle, fish the two cord ends through your screen aperture. Now, making sure the screen is central and being held close to where it should reside, pull one cord (hold other one) and you'll find that the cord pulls the seal into place. Be very careful about how much pressure your helper puts on the outside, I think mine put to much on, and the screen (which to be fair to him was chipped from the start) grew a crack.... :-(

Hope that helps

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
willie

Thanks for the description Will. I did find some information at this site that looks like what you are describing here:-

I've a local friend who has done this before so I'll get some help from him.

The screen is fairly new (Dec last year) and it started leaking not long after that. The seal is really perished and should have been changed then....... You live and learn!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Richard,

Yes the seal and yes it does look simple (See my other post in response to Will)

Regards

Richard

Reply to
Richard

cut the old screen out with a stanley knife if renewing the seal

Reply to
jOn

That's the only thing in my plan at the moment. The critical pit is getting the new seal in without too much damage to the not that old screen!

Oh, and the nearly new one is tinted too........

Richard

Reply to
Richard

In article , Richard writes

Whilst we're on the subject, are there any special tricks with the curved 'safari' windows? Being smaller and curved, I'm guessing they're harder to do, and I'm not looking forward to it...

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Whilst we're on the subject, are there any special tricks with the curved 'safari' windows? Being smaller and curved, I'm guessing they're harder to do, and I'm not looking forward to it...

No problem, they're a doddle. Because they're curved and have a filler strip to lock the seal in place, they are easy. (Speaking as one who has also broken a damaged front screen while trying to remove it!)

Gordon

Reply to
gbubb

In article , snipped-for-privacy@drytecltd.com writes

Many thanks - you can guess how relieved I am!

I assume you cut the old seal away per the windscreen?

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

No! They seal completely differently from windscreen as Gordon mentioned. Find a small blunt flat head screwdriver and locate the ends of the filler strip in the middle of the seal. Dig one end out and gently pull the filler strip out completely. You do get special tools for putting these strips in and out (Sealey make them - I have a set) but it's easy to do it with a blunt screwdriver, so I wouldn't waste your money.

I've been thinking about your "safari" window - I take it we are discussing the alpine windows in the roof?

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
willie

Many thanks for the above - I was about to create mayhem (or at least leaks) with a Stanley knife...

Absolutely - 'twas late last night, and a decent-sized nightcap of something-not-too-awful found in Asda (but their "brandy" is best avoided!). Was trying to remember what the 'looking out & up connection was, and kept coming up with Kilimanjaro! Could be old age, of course, but I prefer the former explanation.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig