Right - oversized rings.

Ok...Jay-lo in the best tradition of all things Landrover blows some smoke now and then...more often when running :-)

Thing is to fit these oversized rings do you have to have the block bored or are they so minutely oversized that they will go in and compensate for any slack...thick question but I don't know and I'm sure I'm not alone.

And that said can one get oversized rings for the 2.6 lumps???

Cheers,

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

"Lee_D"

No you cant fit oversized rings to standard pistons. Rotty

Reply to
Rotty

So I guess that it would be a case of oversized pistons & rings and a rebore too then....H'mmmmm seems simple to go the V8 or 2.8 litre ford way.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I'd say so. It's really not worth going the hog of getting a 2.6 rebored, bearing in mind that the valve seats in the block will need hardening as well, and probably the crankshaft ought to be reground etc etc. The money would be far better spent on a V8 or 2.6, as you say

Alex

PS. Can I have the old lump for spares for mine?

Reply to
Alex

If it gets to that stage I'll bear you in mind...It's actually Sis's car and she's quite fond of the old smoker but I'm sure once I take her for a run in Percy there will be a 109 on the drive awaiting a crazy implant :-)

Lee

-- Project Percy - Jaguar 4.2 and Auto in to Series IIa 88 see it @

101Ambi '76 / IIa - Percy '64 / Rangie TD '90

alt.fan.landrover hall of fame -

Lee_D

Cheers, V8 it is then....who's going to tell her ? ;-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

"Lee_D"

Looks like that is the way you are going to have to go. I have been reboring and crankgrinding etc for the past 37 years, only just packed up my business, the number of times I have had customers come in and ask about oversized rings, so you are not on your own. The last L/Rover diesel job I done was £54 for the rebore, £24 for the block reface and pistons if I remember right were £42 each. Best Regards. Rotty

Reply to
Rotty

"Lee_D"

But a quick hone and new (rather than worn out) standard size rings would improve things no end . steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver