Smoke

What causes diesel engines to smoke as they get older?

David.

Reply to
David French

Stress and teenage children...

OTOH, worn rings, fuel pressure being boosted at the pump, letting me drive it for a week...

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

in article bka889$qvftc$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-160280.news.uni-berlin.de, David French at snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net wrote on 17/9/03 7:13 pm:

Stress????

Reply to
Rory Manton

On or around Wed, 17 Sep 2003 19:13:28 +0100, "David French" enlightened us thusly:

what sort of smoke?

blue smoke is oil, and caused by bore/ring wear,

white, grey, black smoke are various fuelling faults.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

David French tried to scribble ...

In the case of a Renault Laguna I had a blown turbo .. Mostly it's worn bores, rings, pistons, 'odd' fuel setups ... general tiredness ... ;)

Reply to
Digweed .. ;)

They want to look cool in front of their mates?

I guess it depends on the type of smoke? If the injectors are shot, the timing is off or the fuelling is just 'wrong' then combustion will not be complete and smoke is the result.

AIUI the nicely coloured smokes are down to engine wear letting fluids that shouldn't be in the cylinder into the cylinder. They then burn / part burn and cause coloured smoke.

So in a nutshell, I guess it's because they are knackered!

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Worn rings, worn injector pump, clogged injectors, running too hot.

Ever been behind an old bus when it pulls away?

Alex

Reply to
Alex