Rock sliders

What`s the groups feelings on rock sliders?Is there any really good ones out there,or,do they all have some sort of failing like difficult to fit,not strong enough or just too expensive? Mark.

Reply to
mark

To fit which motor?

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I can't really see what motor it is matters, a rocksliders a rockslider, it either works or doesn't. I ran a Disco for a while, and worked on a few as part of my work,... (went back to a Ser3, the way I treat 'em it's a lot cheaper.)

As far as rocksliders go I've not seen any that impress me, fitted u a Dsco for a guy, can't remeber which brand now, but I thought it was a PITA to fit, a hell of a lot of money for what it was, and was only suitabe for purpose after re-enforcements in short a mess, anymore thoughts out there.

Reply to
mark

Except that he may know someone who does a good one for a Defender, say, but they don't do one for a Disco.

Reply to
Dougal

Exactly!

I think you may be happier making your own then; or maybe not.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Ok then.What`s the good and bad ones for a Disco?

Reply to
mark

I haven't a clue.

Most of those that you see and may assume to be 'rock sliders' don't, I think, make any claims to be so. They are, as you have observed, largely cosmetic.

If you want ideas you could start looking here: (but they are across the pond)

Dougal

I keep meaning to make my own for the series out of some nice hefty box section, but i keep forgetting to buy enough metal for it when i go shopping for metal for other jobs.

Reply to
Tom Woods

I got some from Billing for my SWB Series III a few years ago. The front fitting was OK but I had to fabricate alternative rear mounting brackets for the rear to make them any where near fit for purpose, ie provide protection by being able to support the weight of the vehicle rather than just for show. That said I think they are worth fitting if you are into reasonably serious off-roading.

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Manuel

Mark Hi,

I can not tell you what's the bad ones but I can tell you that the ones that Scorpion Racing is offering are quite good and sturdy.

Especially the rock and tree sliders (the ones with the additional round tube bracket on the outside) are extremely good at protecting the bodyshell. On top of that they offer a much easier access to the car since they can be used as steps. They are VERY sturdy and they are different in design from other rocksliders because of the U shaped attachement point on the bodyshell. The U shape parts goes around the outside bodyshell beam and in this way increases both the rigidity of the bodyshell but also protects not only the outside of the bodyshell but its undercarriage also (and it is a very exposed part of the bodyshel especially if you like passing over small hills and find yourself belly grounded often)

The are a bit of a pain to fit them since they require opening of more and wider diameter holes on the bodyshell but as a total they are one of the best things you can add to a Discovery as far as upgrading and protection against offroading is concerned.

And one more thing. Due to the way they are mounted onto the bodyshell they also offer one more VERY important bonus. They literaly "armour" the lower part of the bodyshell (where your passengers' feet are) against a side collision. If another car hits you from the side it will definately NOT find its way inside your Disco and between its side doors.

----------

And one recommendation. IF you intend on using them seriously in offroading condition may I suggest you ask for the galvanised option? It is a bit too flashy (being shiny silver when new) but when it weathers it becomes more subtle and it has the very bid advantage of being totally immune to rusting. Something that powder coating will never be able to accomplish. All powder coated items eventually start to rust. (hence the "Scrap Iron" nickname for SR)

----------

May I remind you also that I am SR's representative and exclusive distributor in Greece so there is a connection with them. But I am not trying to sell the rock or rock&treesliders to you. It is just that I believe that it is a very good and sturdy design and more than up to the task of protecting both the bodyshell and the passengers of your Discovery.

Take care and Happy New Year Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

I came across this on fabricating Rock Sliders for a RR and 109

Strong....not shiny....functional not fancy!

Reply to
Stuart

They are also bloody heavy.

Reply to