RR CD changers

Can anyone confirm whether the CD changer from a '93 LSE will happily coexist with the somewhat basic radiocassette in a '98 4.0?

My changer isn't so good after a bucket of water went into it... still works, but is now fussy about which CDs it wants to play now; not too keen on CDs 9 & 10, & definitely won't have a bar of 1.

This is the one I'm considering- it looks different to mine, but it's all about the connector innit?

Thanks chaps (& chappettes)

Reply to
Natalie Drest

I surprised that it is fussy about a particular CD position. The transport/laser/lens etc is all the same the only thing that changes is the disc. You have checked that they are clean and don't have lumps of dried mud on 'em haven't you? Does a disc from a working slot fail in one of the non-working ones, maybe the change mechanism could do with a clean and gentle lubrication.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm not surprised, just disappointed.

Indeed.

Sure have... this problem occurred quite a while ago, I've put many discs in it since then- the outer ones won't play, the ones inserted in the 'middle' ones (3-7) usually do. Doesn't matter what they are- commercially produced or burns.

yep

Maybe. The water that went through it did have detergent in it... The easiest course for me is to just replace the changer. I've heard that there is at least one mp3 changer that is a direct replacement for my ruined unit- anyone care to confirm?

Thanks for the interest.

Anybody knoiw whether the 2 units share the same connector socket?

Reply to
Natalie Drest

Do you put the CDs into a caddy/cartridge or feed them into the machine?

Changing the unit for what appears to be a simple mechanical fault seems a bit extravagant to me but reading between the lines it might be you want a hook to hang getting an MP3 player on. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not really, it's just too hard. I've opened/disassembled the changer once- it wasn't fun. Besides, I'm not a huge fan of mp3s, I can't stand the sound with anything less than 320kbps variable encoding. I just want to know if the ebay unit will work for me- it's cheap at the moment. DOES ANYBODY KNOW????????

Reply to
Natalie Drest