shuddering and backfiring

My 110 V8 seems to be down on power on the flat but on hills it goes to a crawl and starts to shudder and backfire. When it gets to the top of the hill it "kangaroos" then if you ease off the accelerator the "kangarooing" stops and it goes back to feeling underpowered again. This has been going on for some months. I have bought new plugs, leads, distributor cap and checked the carbs but have not solved the problem so does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong with it? It has only done 80,000 miles.

Reply to
len

Fuel pump? In-line fuel filter?

Reply to
Mother

On 10 Feb 2006 11:11:45 -0800, "len" scribbled the following nonsense:

Right, had this on my 101 just after I bought it....

Change fuel filter

Check carbs, disconnect the linkages and try revving each carb individually. bURRt did this, and tracked the fault down to a combination of incorrect float setting and fuel filter.

Gave Martyn and I hours of fun in at Pogglewood!

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Gave the neighbours heart attacks...

Reply to
Mother

One possible problem could be down to a shot camshaft, which can show up from 60k miles and over, as a rough guide, pull the oil filler cap and if black deposits are building up, this on the V8 is for two reasons, this area is cool and so allows combustion byproducts to condense out, it also indicates the engine has not had sufficient or adaquate servicing. This along with higher consumption can be a pointer to a shot cam.

Reply to
Dad

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. I do not think it is the engine and the oil is changed regularly etc. but it is something to bear in mind. I shall check the fuel filter,carbs. etc first.

Reply to
len

My 2.25 does a lot of kangarooing when I start up, seems to be ok once the engine has warmed a little, but I have to jigger a lot with the choke and throttle to move away smoothly.

Reply to
Larry

My V8 had similar symptoms, twice. After much expense & gnashing of teeth [twice] it turned out to be a duff rotor arm on both occasions. They were both Intermotor products. The problems were solved by buying a genuine Land Rover part. You'll be astonished at how much they cost [£15-£20], but on both occasions it was a case of instant cure & back to that sweet burble.

Kevin.

110 V8 Station Wagon.
Reply to
Kevin W

Check you timing? Your distributor may be loose...

Brian Tonks Tonks4x4

Reply to
Brian Tonks

Had a similar problem with my V8 once, but not as bad as you describe the problem with yours. It turned out that the vacuum unit on the distributor had worn out and wasn't working properly may be worth checking yours.

Liam

Reply to
Liam

Or at least checking the pipe hasn't come astray.

Reply to
Mother