RR Stromberg carb 'choke'

Am I correct in thinking that the choke (fuel unrichment) on a pair of Strombergs is as follows:

1) choke knob opens choke plate on lh carb 2) allowing fuel to flow through a small gallery into the carb throat and at the same time 3) fuel flows along the connecting pipe to the rh carb to a similar open gallery?

Reason being, I've cleaned the galleries, blown through the link pipe and still the motor refuses to start on 8. Once it's fired and run for a few revs it inevitably, and rapidly, picks up as if the fuel is being drawn along the link pipe rather than pumped but it will never fire from cold on all 8.

Is there something more subtle happening on choke than I think?

Reply to
AJG

it may be just the hydraulic tappets pumping up as oil pressure rises is the reason for not firing initially on 8 cyls .

if you had solid lifters then it would fire up on all 8 all the time but with hydraulic lifters they have to pump up first and this means that oil pressure has to increase in order to do this .

in other words the tappet clearance is very wide until lifters have pumped up to take up the slack .

my old range rover allways did this , so too a chevy engine i had with rhoads lifters installed .

this is half the reason why a rover v8 needs a bit of spinning over before they will fire, especially in winter.

hope of some use to you .

Reply to
M0bcg

In message , M0bcg writes

Sounds plausible. I think I'll pull the coil lead when I get time, spin it over for a while without the fuel pump running then put everything back together and start it. That'll prove your mechanical theory one way or the other ...

Reply to
AJG