101 FC

My father has had Landies for years, but up until recently I have never really caught the bug. However having recently been given a go in a 101 FC GS I'm smitten. I have been offered said vehicle to buy, however being new to this I'm not sure whether I'm being taken for a ride so to speak and I wondered if anyone can help me.

The vehicle in question is a 1976 LHD 12V ex MOD 101GS. It had a Mazda 3.5lt Diesel fitted about 10 years ago. The chassis is sound enough, and most of the body is in reasonable order, although both door tops are pretty rotten. The canvass is knackered, as are some of the support hoops, a gamekeeper owned it and attached a winch to them to pull in deer. The exhaust is shot, as is the electric stop on the engine, they have been stalling it for the last twelve months since it packed up. It hasn't been MOT'd for about two years, and has been classed as an agricultural vehicle for the last twelve months, running on red diesel. Generally the vehicle looks quite tatty from lack of attention. That said, it drives quite well.

The owner wants £2500 for it, and not a penny less. Now I think thats a bit expensive and have offered him 2000 which he is thinking about. The problem I have is that I really want a 101 GS or Rapier, but I have little to spend,

2000 really is my limit. I'm not afraid of working on a vehicle, but don't want to bankrupt myself at the same time. Also I want a vehicle that I could use regularly, i.e. not too expensive to run, which rules out a V8 unless it is gassed, again eating my budget. Therefore, although this 101 seems a wreck it would be a reasonable solution.

I would welcome any comments or advice.

Many Thanks

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

Martyn (Mother) will be along soon he is your best bet for information while your waiting check out his website

Mike Jones Super Hero (sluff)

There's a specific club for the 101

I also have a site sort of dedicated to the vehicle at:

A fair engine, parts readily available, but remember that anything non-standard will be down to you to figure - although there are many who will probably offer advice.

Essentially the chassis is the key. Body panels on a GS will usually have the odd knock and dent, but they're fairly robust.

Easily replaced :-)

Easily remade, talk to Hanno at All Wheel Trim

These can be remade and bits often crop up in autojumbles. I did hear that someone was looking to pattern them, so you may be able to get a complete new set soon. I simply mended the hood sticks on my GS and it's been 'alright' (especially given it had a tree growing through it when I first saw it!)

I'm not sure about the legal / revenue issues for putting a vehicle on the road that has previously been run on Red Diesel. It may be the case that you'll have to replace the fuel tank - which is 300 odd quid for a new stainless unit. I am not a lawyer and this may not be necessary :-)

I'd not reckon a GS, without MOT and in need of fairly substantial work would fetch much more than 1,500 but if the engine is sound it may be worth 2K. 2.5 is a rather optimistic call, but I guess the owner may be thinking the winch is worth 500?

Do bear in mind that the vehicle is 30 odd years old and will require a degree of TLC over the years to come. Many parts are specific to the 101 and can be a little hard to source. The 101 Club has a superb parts chap and generally we can keep vehicles on the road.

There's also an excellent 101 group on yahoogroups where most hard line 101heads hang out.

Hope this helps :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Have been for a look..

I know a reasonable amount about the engine since my father had a RR with one in, and my boss has a 90 with one. The 90 has done 270000miles with it, so I'm not greatly worried by it. It does mean that I have quite a few points of contact at hand.

Before the previous two owners, the bloke that had it was a real enthusiast, so it was well looked after until then. I has been the last five years of neglect that have done the damage.

Any idea of cost? An estimate would be useful, so I can figure a budget.

Thanks for the link, will give it a try. Again any idea of cost??

I figured that would probably be the case. They didn't look too technical :o)

hmmm, some investigation required there then... Is stainless the only way to go?

That pretty much confirms what I thought. He is of the belief that the engine alone is worth 1500! Winch is a hand cranked affair, prob 10 quids worth :o) So you recon I'm ok with 2K?

Any ideas of other places to hunt for one of similar money? Ideally I'd like a RHD 101 12V with a radio body any gassed motor. Think that might be a bit much to expect though :o)

Well I do like a challenge! The mechanical side of it I'm not greatly concerned about as I do have access to garage facilities and a mechanic mate. I do have a reasonable mechanical understanding myself too. The issue at the moment is trying to make a dream into a reality on a shoe string. Should love to take it on safari one day, one step at a time though ;o)

Any idea of likely insurance cost??

oooh sounds scary :o)

It has, thank you very much indeed, I appreciate your quick response!

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

Had just spent the last hour dribbling over Grumble, without realising it was your site! If I had a hat I'd be taking it off. I'm very impressed, that is one awesome looking machine. I love the wheels! How much did they set you back if you don't mind me asking??

In Awe

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

Unless Rich Clafton has another minter for £30 I'd say so. :-)

The original ones do rot rather well - too many little spots for water and crap to lodge between tank and carrier. Unless you want authentic, go stainless.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

I'm 23, and dont live in the best of areas, and insure a 101 for around £200, so you should be looking at that much or less.. I'd say that insurance costs are negligable compared to fuel costs :) (but you might be better off with a diesel)

Reply to
Tom Woods

I asked him that once. You arn't going to like the answer if you have a limited budget!... :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

I figured it would probably be an inordinate amount of money, but one can dream :o)

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

That sounds pretty cheap, I'm 25 and in the country so it ought to be reasonable then. I've a commercial shogun at the moment (no barrage of abuse thanks ;o) ). The insurance for that is £560 a year, so that sounds pretty minimal.

I was thinking Diesel or LPG to reduce running costs to a reasonable level. Couldn't possibly afford to run it on petrol!

Thanks

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

Aah, that explains that then, better start saving I guess :o) If I buy the one I've been offered, then I don't see the point in going authentic seeing as it already has the wrong engine in, so that wouldn't matter.

Thanks

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

I could get very excited about fuel consumption, but it does depend how many miles you are planning to do annually. Mine is insured (very generously) for 3000 miles per annum, which works out at about 250 gallons (£1000). So payback would be at about 2 years for a good system. I probably only do half that mileage, so it starts to look less attractive in pure financial terms. The extra range and environmental benefits are probably a stronger argument.

Insurance for me is £130 (I'm 32).

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

For sale if you want 101GS original petrol 3.5 was on the road till 2years ago when my best mate got killed in a biking accident. Sits up a field at the moment looking sad. Pictures available. Needs a bit of attention but nothing major. Its either got to be sold or we may end up canabalising it for our other two

101 Ambies Around the £2k mark(+/-) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
Reply to
Brevit

Regarding the fuel tank issue. Thanks to this NG, I understand the red diesel concept - I do not live in the UK. But, why can't the tank be flushed out with kerosine or something similar?. The real issue, as far as I understand, is not to use subsidised diesel when you're not entitled to. I can understand the full force of the law for those that flaunt the rules. But, surely, just because a tank had red diesel in it, in the vehicles history, does not mean that the present owner is cheating revenue. Surely the law enforcers are not so pedantically stupid as to take someone to court on the mere suspicion that red diesel has been in the tank at some stage. All the new owner has to do is to prove that he is not cheating revenue. Surely this could be noted at an MOT, yes? Thank goodness we don't have this system in South Australia including MOT's (The motor trade association are the only ones pushing for a similar system to UK - I wonder why!!) Steve W

Reply to
QuickDraw Steve

As far as I understand it now, if I report to customs and excise that the vehicle has been run on red, but now runs on white, they make an official note of it. Then if you are tested in six months time and red is still fresh, they will prosecute, if it is faint then they put it down to the circumstances you reported.

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

1: The red colour is a dye which sticks to the metal of tanks and pipes, and is difficult, if not impossible, to remove. 2: The enforcement is by HM Customs & Excise, who have a rep for being awkward in all sorts of ways.
Reply to
David G. Bell

Have just read all the threads so far and you have my respect (for what its worth!). I would love a 101 but for reasons various (wife won't let me, cost, space & time to name a few) I have been unable to fulfil that desire.

Best of luck and I hope you get what you want.

JonW D90 "When in danger, when in doubt Run in circles, scream and shout" RotR, Rule 8.g (amended)

Reply to
pl.white

Sorry, forgot this (posted here recently)

Been very busy recently - as many may have guessed - apols for the delay in answering any posts / emails :-)

101 Forward Control GS 80,000Km RHD New tilt Taxed (May 04) and Tested Overdrive fitted LPG tank installed - but vehicle not converted Otherwise very original and tidy - complete set of tools on front etc

Located Burton on Trent - UK Offers in the region of 2,500 to 3,000 ukp

For sellers contact details, please email me directly or call the 101 Club number: 0114 255 4 101

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Eek! Thanks! (blush) :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Thanks :-)

Some of the local graf artistes thought so too last night when it got tagged for the first time (rather flattered and p!ssed off at the same time!)

Erm... At least one kitchen - but I'm still paying in other ways :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother