RR VAlley Gasket

Going to change the valley gasket on my efi 1986 range rover.

Have been advised to use a little silicon sealant at either end of the two (new) cresent shaped rubber seals, and on either face of the gasket around the water galleries.

Any other tips or things I should know / watch out for?

Gasket is one of the newer, composite type, if that makes any difference.

Thanks

David

Reply to
rads

I would like to add to this question as I have had a few problems with this gasket , if I accelerate away and drop the rev's back a bit I get a distinct 'bonk ' noise from it , to fix this I have removed the breather pipe from the carb ,any one know why this 'bonk' noise should happen ?

I as thinking of welding 2 steel strips from the plates that hold the seals in to give a bit of extra rigidity , thoughts on this ?

the last one I replaced had buckled and ripped away at one end producing a very large oil leak

had a few problems with the injector wiring being a bit old and the insulation breaking and getting the water pipes back on at the front but apart from that the job was very straight forward ,I also used the silicon gasket sealant on the rubbers to get a better fit as the new ones I bought ( £3.50 each from Landover )did not fit to well

paul

Reply to
paulm

Sounds as though you have pressure building up causing the gasket to lift, check all breathers are clear especially flame trap. Crud can build up beneath the rocker covers and block the small vent holes.

Reply to
John Dennington

Yep, Where the breather hose from the flame trap connects to the plenum chamber, there are several holes drilled at right angles that allow the crankcase vent to be on the vacuum side of the throttle plate to recirculate the fumes, keeping the emissions down.

If you look at the plenum chamber near where the CCV hose attaches, you will see a couple of small 'core plugs', one on the front and one on the side. These need to be removed and the passages cleared of the gunk that builds up.

You can either buy new plugs for the passages, or do as I did and find appropriately sized bolts and use silicone sealant to prevent air leaks.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Horse

Reply to