running out of stuff to change.

On or around Tue, 27 Mar 2007 23:09:27 +0100, "Bob Hobden" enlightened us thusly:

condenser is new, along with the new dizzy, and while the coil isn't, it was running fine on another motor, also, the same problem is apparent with 3 different coils; the odds are lengthening. Before I swapped the dizzy, I tried another condenser (but not new) on the old dizzy, with no effect.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 27 Mar 2007 22:06:21 +0100, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

I'll be looking at that, and the rest of the valve gear and timing - seems unlikely as a sole cause within the timescale though - I'd expect a more gradual deterioration. This happened fairly suddenly, then went away for a bit, then in the space of about 20 miles it came back and stayed.

timing slip somehow could do it - if for example the timing gear had moved on either crank or cam, say.

It sounds a bit like something that the timing's way out on, bar for the good idle - very retarded spark could do it. but advancing the spark by moving the dizzy doesn't cure it, either, within credible limits.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Low voltage to the coil - dodgy connection somewhere, faulty ignition switch (I mentioned this ages ago), dirty fuse?

Reply to
EMB

Have you tried running it with no air cleaner hose connected ?

Reply to
Marc Draper

I think my mate may have just bought one with a similar wierd problem to yours Austin!

2.25 petrol was running fine and then suddenly stalled while going up a hill and wouldnt restart.

Has been to a garage who said they could get it running but as soon as it got hot it would start to die and stall again, and they say they had to reset all the timing to make it run again - repeatedly.

Mate has now bought it cheaply.

We towed it round the field with the 'ractor and tried to start it but it wont have any of it. Which is a shame as it is still taxed mot'd and insured and we were going to go for a cruise in it.

Reply to
Tom Woods

And if that helps, change the oil in the air cleaner, first removing the inch or so of conctrete-hard guff in the bottom of the air cleaner. It's amazing how often that one stumps people...

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

This may be off the wall, but how about baffles in the exhaust collapse, and blocking the exit. Tickover/low revs would find the way out, high revs maybe not "Austin Shackles" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Giles Ayling

We've had the discussion regarding the condenser and Austin has it covered. Overheating coil is another that I think we've covered BICBW. There's not a lot left, manky king lead breaking down is a possible I guess. A plug or A plug lead would manifest itself differently from the king lead?

Reply to
GbH

Tried it in the dark? can often see lead breakdown in the dark.

Reply to
GbH

On or around Wed, 28 Mar 2007 18:35:33 +1200, EMB enlightened us thusly:

OK, here's as good as any for an update. Ran it with the strobe on the HT lead, and decided that it was definitely dropping the sparks in time with the misfire. In the natural order of things, it was behaving much better today.

Noted that the ford coil, despite being marked "12V", was getting pretty hot, so I went and got the shiny red MSD "master blaster" which I got for the 110 off the 110, together with its ballast resistor (the MSD is a 6V coil), and put that on.

So far, apart from a few stray misses, it seems OK. I didn't see any ballast resistor on the ford, and likesay, the coil is marked 12V - it might however be an "electronic" one.

I'll still replace the plugs, and I'm only provisionally convinced that it's cured. Seems to run better with the Zenith than it did with the Weber on; idle is smoother and seems to have a bit more power, especially at low revs. I think I'll take him to Lampeter tomorrow in convoy with another vehicle :-)

now to apply for tax for the bike so I can ride it next month.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 28 Mar 2007 17:33:53 GMT, "GbH" enlightened us thusly:

good point, I might have a look later if ICBA. see other post though...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 28 Mar 2007 09:35:22 +0100, Marc Draper enlightened us thusly:

yes. wasn't any different.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:59:21 +0000, beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

that's probably a good idea, in any case, when I have a moment.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 28 Mar 2007 09:41:35 +0100, Marc Draper enlightened us thusly:

no, engine mounted pump, 2.25 series III.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Seems likely one or t'other, only thing after that is swap the motor!!

Reply to
GbH

On or around Wed, 28 Mar 2007 19:31:47 +0100, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

bugger. no MOT. OK, now to get an MOT on the bike, so that I can tax it...

Reply to
Austin Shackles