S2 rebuild

Weeeell, if all goes well tomorrow I'll be down to just three Land Rovers. The aim is to get Stig (88") out of the garage and finally finish the brake job I started two years ago and free off the now seized clutch.

Once that is done, it will be time to look at a new engine (the old

2.25 petrol is well worn). There may well be a fair amount of cash available to do the job - it will, after all, probably last another 30 years. I'm seeking suggestions about what engine to fit...

The main goal is for something with a bit of oomph (but not too much), but above all something that runs smoothly and doesn't belch smoke. I came across a pristine ex-mil S3 a while back which sounded fantastic

- sewing machine smooth. Diesel is absolutely out of the question.

So, do I fork out for a complete Turner Engineering 2.5 engine, or is there a better option? How lunatic would it be to put a decent straight six in there? I don't really want to faff of a non Land Rover engine, and I don't think a V8 is really what I'm after.

How difficult would the 2.8 BMW option be? I know it goes in the South African Defender....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Tim Hobbs expelled:

Rebuild it, with 9:1 compression and a good carburettor.

Are you sure of the no diesel thing - the Santana diesel is supposed to be awesome.

The 2.5 sounds like the best option - putting a rover 6 in is a *big* job - IIRC firewall, mounts, propshafts all need major changes (at which stage a V8 is probably only a little more work). I think you're right about not going V8 (having built an "Stage 1" 88 recently) - just doesn't feel right on the road but awesome off road.

Reply to
EMB