S3 109 Parabolics & Ext Shackles

I have seen many posts on this subject of series suspension upgrades and many different views.

I thought for reference I would let everybody know what parts I've fitted and how well they perform.

I have a petrol S3 109 and have made the following suspension mods

Parabolics from Paddocks ProComp 3000 Gas Shocks from Paddocks 1 ton extended shackles from Paddocks 2.5 degree axle correction wedges from Chris Parfect Extra long braided brake hoses from Chris Parfect Standard LR bushes all round

Total cost £500+

The total lift is very significant, I haven't taken any measurements but the roof line is level with 90's with a 2" lift and much more difficult to climb in and out of.

My previous springs were only 12 month old.

Ride quality is greatly improved but not up to coil standards. You get a bounce over road bumps instead of a judder

If you jump up and down on the front bumper you get real suspension movement and not just tyre wall flex.

Off road the axle articulation is excellent, not better than coilers but you will not be embarrassed easily

There has been a slight increase in steering wander and I may try increased axle correction wedges at some point but this may be down to the ext shackles, but it's not enough to worry me

I haven't suffered with prop vibration that some people have commented on in the passed.

I have done circa 500 road miles and 30 on lanes with no problems so far

If anybody is interested I will post an update in a couple of month's time.

Reply to
Martin

I dunno as I have not reason presently to uprate and until my springs are totally knackered (if that will ever be) I don't suppose I will jump.

Coils are coils and leaves are leaves and neer the twain shall meet, I suppose you have to replace all four at once else it is going to be a bit odd otherwise.

I think one of the necessities of driving a series is having a cast iron arse.

Reply to
Larry

On or around Thu, 24 Feb 2005 23:58:11 -0000, "Larry" enlightened us thusly:

there used to be plenty of cars with leaf rear and coil front.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Most inferior 4x4's still have that arrangement ;-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Interestingly the current Nissan Patrol gives you the option of coils or leaf springs, although I think you have to have the same front and back. JD

Reply to
JD