S3 - about to start the refurb!

Not going too far into a refurb, but really I have never owned a series vehicle before so I have a few questions if you don't mind?

It's an '82 88" station wagon & looks in pretty decent nick. What is the best place to start on a vehicle like this? I am guessing make sure the chassis is solid (it has got a current MOT)

It drives very well with just a tad of steering wander, is this normal or does it require any attention to the swivels etc?

What I'm after if possible is a (rough) guide as to what to look for & in which order to attack the beastie!

The body is in fine shape with a reasonably new bulkhead fitted. The engine starts first time (now I've found the correct choke to use!!!) The gearbox is pretty vague with no firm gear change action. The gear lever flops about & has no 'spring' action to return it to a set place (if you know what I mean) 4th crunches at anything over 1500rpm & 1st & 2nd are VERY hard to engage at anything other than crawling pace.

Given a major clean inside I think it could pass as very good, but someone has hammerited the front left wing, although a very close match it looks s**te!

This is the actual beastie -

Bought from the one & only Paul S Brown!

I want to make it as original as possible, so all the rear lights & reflectors will be coming off.

I think it would look nice in bronze green!

BTW, the farm next door is selling a very tidy looking IIa (late) or III - cant really tell form 1/2 mile across the fields!

So, can anyone give me a list of what to look for whilst doing the work & any kind of order to do it in with a series motor please?

Cheers

Nige

-- Subaru WRX (The Bitch)

Series 3 Landrover 88" (Albert)

"If you tolerate this then your children will be next"

Reply to
Nige

You ever wanted a roller???

yep 4 inch gloss roller...lots of prep and a week or so in the Garage last January.

What about some chequre plate plannels inside to tart it up a bit.

Door seals refitted with 90 ones required a little grinding...ok I lied... alot of teadious grinding.

As for the steering..aren't you near to the man they call Warren? Well then you could get power steering fitted whilst having the V8 fitted...that way you can break the gearbox lots quicker and stop worrying about that when you fit a ZF auto to your new V8..... at least the steering will be sorted! Don't ever try and think of it as a finished project ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Too flash for me!

I see where you're going!

noooooooooo, i HATE the stuff. I really want to gte it as original as possible ;~)

Sounds like fun!

Might be a tad more expensive than a right sized steering wheel!

I quite like the original engine, purrs (well rattles) like a kitten (in a blender!)

I sort of got that idea hanging round here for nearly a year!

That does look a decent paint job for a roller! (not the colour!) & I dont have a garage anymore, it's now a dining room!!!