Scanning RRC workshop manual

I have a loose leaf workshop manual for my 85 Range Rover which is getting a bit tatty.

We have a HP sheet fed scanner at work which I would like to use to scan the manual and keep it as a pdf like the RAVE cd manuals (which don't cover my RRC)

What software will scan the pages to pdf easily? Can be Windows 98 or Linux Fedora Core 2

Thanks Paul

Reply to
Bob

If you have Microsoft Office XP you can use Document Scanning, which scans all pages as 1 big TIFF file. Then use a free PDF printer such as

and print to PDF. Saves paying =A3200 odd for Adobe Writer. Assuming you have Office XP of course, although if you've got Windows 98 you won't have it..

Thanks, Paul

--

1992 Range Rover Vogue SE
Reply to

Check the file options on the scanner, we have an HP sheet feed scanner at work which will automatically csan to a pdf, sorry cant recall the model of ours.

Chris Disco 200tdi 1990 sob (for sale)

Reply to
Merlin©

A few people have mentioned Adobe Acrobat - one thing that should be mentioned is that you can download a 30 day trial here:

Apart from it won't work on your computer because it says it requires Windows 2000/XP.....

Xsane will do the job under Linux, make a new directory and scan the pages in their with sequential numbers for their file names and use the utility "convert" to change them from png files to a single pdf.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
willie

On or around 21 Nov 2005 13:07:34 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@macleod-group.com" enlightened us thusly:

I've a thing here called Visage eXpert PDF which is a printer driver which outputs to PDF files (in layman's terms) and is bloody handy. Was cheap enough to licence, as well.

What I like about it is that you use your software-of-choice to create the document, then select "Visage etc." from the print menu, you can then embed fonts if you want and save it as pdf.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

CuteFTP is freeware!

It sits as a windows printer, outputs PDF's.

Best freeware ive had for a while!

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

My flatbed HP scanner will scan straight to pdf too, and its the very bottom of the HP range i think - so i can't see a fancy sheet fed one not being able to do it?

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Tue, 22 Nov 2005 00:23:13 +0000, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

interesting. Been wondering about a new scanner. However, the fax machine has gone senile (works fine, will copy documents but not send faxes) and so that's due for replacement.

Anyone seen a flatbed scanner combined with a fax, for less than the national debt? I spose it's one of those "multi-function" machines, really. Mind, If I can get a decent scanner, I can reconfigure the modem, and set the computer up to do faxes. Maybe. Mind, doesn't allow of receiving the things so readily - with a fax machine, if I pick the phone up and it goes "beeep" I can hit the start button and off it goes.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 21 Nov 2005 22:00:24 -0000, "Mark Solesbury" enlightened us thusly:

sounds good. Does it produce decent PDFs? One thing about Visage was that it'd work for free but not without puttin adverts on the output...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The reason i bought my hp scanner over the other models was for the scanning to pdf function. It must just have a pdf converter built into the driver - but unfortunately you cant seem to get at the pdf converter seperately to convert existing jpgs :( Ive just checked on ebuyer and mine is indeed the cheapest hp flatbed scanner at around £30-£40.

How many faxes do you actually need to send? You can use email instead in a lot of instances now.

Reply to
Tom Woods

It is! Adobe quality, no ads or other s**te!

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

On or around Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:55:17 +0000, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

yeah, I know. mostly, only a few. it's also handy as a photocopier though, for when you want a quick copy of a couple of pages of something. Found using computer plus scanner plus printer a pain as a copier a bit back.

There's also receiving faxes, which is easier on a real fax machine as stated previously. I don't want auto-answer, that's a pain as the same line is used for voice calls, and sometimes you want it to ring 20 times 'cos you're the other end of the yard...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Just bought a HP 4215 for work.

Its NOT a flatbed scanner, so does not fit Austin's spec. but is astonishing value at £76ish for a printer, colour copier, sheetfeed scanner and fax machine.

David

Reply to
rads

On or around Tue, 22 Nov 2005 14:05:04 GMT, rads enlightened us thusly:

sounds handy. colour copying would be good. I'll look into it. I do already have a decent printer (HP 1100D), and I've generally found HP to be good.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 22 Nov 2005 14:05:04 GMT, rads enlightened us thusly:

hmmm. found a 4255EN on ebuyer. looks a good thing, apart from not having flatbed ability, but then neither did the old one.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Looks very similar to 4215, but with addition of telephone handset, so maybe you wouldn't need a separate phone on your desk?

In and out paper trays for the fax and scanner are a bit flimsy, but they fold very easily and neatly out of the way when not in use.

Flat bed machines are a pain if you want to send a multi-page fax...

David

Reply to
rads

I was going to get something similar but decided against it in the end and am going to get an HP Scanjet 5590 for 250 quid inc vat, the reason for the change of mind is that the 5590 is a sheet-fed *duplex* scanner, i.e. it can scan both sides of the paper. It can then be used to scan paperwork for filing or faxing via a fax-modem. Photocopying can be done to a standard printer. At 8 pages a minute scanning it's not particularly quick, but the best option for me (50 double-sided pages per minute) would cost 700 quid!

A standalone all-in-one machine is cheaper, but I couldn't find any that would do duplex scanning so no convenient electronic document filing. So I decided to forget the all-in-ones and stick to my old laser fax machine as backup and get the scanner plus dig out my old fax modem. The scanner's not cheap but when you need to keep track of paper it's easier than those horrible filing cabinet things...

So basically think about whether being able to scan incoming paperwork easily, then just plonk the resulting PDFs into customer-related file heirarchies would be useful enough to justify the loot. Certainly is for me, but I'm excellent at sorting and archiving electronic information and absolutely fekking woeful at doing it with physical information!!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

PDF Creator

Demo version is free - I've no idea if it leaves a calling card on each page but it will cost nothing to find out.

Reply to
Dougal

I am using xsane but have been unable to get it to scan more than one page at a time. Can't remember the details cos it was a while ago but I think it would pull all the pages through the scanner but only save the first one.

I will have a look at the HP driver disks again. Since we got the machine a while ago it has been plugged into the Linux box and I haven't really explored the Windows drivers/software.

It is an HP 3320 if that is any help

Thanks for the replies

Paul

Reply to
Bob

I reckon that's because your xsane settings are wrong. Go through your settings and look for automatic document feeder settings and make sure they are set to " Automatic Document Feeder" instead of "none"

Are you making sure to use numbers in the filenames?

Bahh. I think you're probably 95% of the way there under linux ;-)

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
willie.macleod