Sealing RR rear floor panels

The rivets securing the ribbed aluminium rear floor panels in the my '88 Range Rover have finally given way allowing water into the boot space.

When refixing the transmission tunnel on my previous RR I used hideously expensive (£12/tube) panel sealant and think that a bit excessive!

I assume that there is an expensive OEM sealant that I'm supposed to use when refixing the panels but what does everyone else use?

I've various tubes of gutter sealant and double glazed window sealant.

Would any of these be suitable?

TIA Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

The seam sealant used by people in the airconditioning & ducting industry works well - It's normally silver in colour (and AFAICT is exactly like the automotive stuff except cheaper). Try you local engineering supplies store.

Reply to
EMB

I can't see why not....someone did post here many moons ago saying that Silicon will corrode metals... But then if 200 years ain't long enough try something else ;-)

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Silicon is corrosive and harsh on aluminium in particular, I'd go for more like two years than two hundred - unless you buy non-corrosive stuff which is marked so. As it happens, my local junk shop has just acquired a couple of boxes of Wurth sealant which at a pound each has to be a good deal :)

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod

Thanks to all, but no one has said whether or not I can use the gutter sealant.

Rgds Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage