Second Seven Bridge Toll Charge

...and hugh spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

From the pictures and prices, it looks like the difference between class 2 and 4 could well be down to how slopey your windscreen is.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

But in the case of the Toll Road you have the option of staying on the M6 and exercising your freedom to sit in the queues all the way through Birmingham.

Reply to
hugh

Then on principle, that's what I will do. It is a popular option by all accounts.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

No but the road you do use is an endurance test. I suppose you'd use the same road from Llanwrda whether you go through Ross or the bridge so you cannot win.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Me too, Scoot down the M5 and round the M42, M40.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

No, but hindering anyone from leaving Wales is surely a case of "unlawful imprisonment".. :)

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

In message , hugh writes

Or using the A5 - in a landy it's almost as quick as the motorway most of the time, and a much more pleasant drive IMO. I used to do a run from Milton Keynes to either Telford or Manchester daily and used all the routes, from experience the A5 was "best" - rarely major hold-ups, a couple of good transport cafes and a much more relaxed drive.

Will

Reply to
Will Wilkinson

Are these differential rates legal then, can a toll operator decide on a whim that all green cars are henceforward buses and charge an appropriate rate?

Surely there is some call for some kind of standardisation, but I suppose we will all get road pricing eventually, and it will be irrelevant (or will it, will they try and charge twice?)

Reply to
Larry

On or around Sun, 18 Dec 2005 21:53:16 -0000, "Huw" enlightened us thusly:

quite, and since that's the only road I have, it's no bother.

To use the motorway adds quite a bit of mileage. The shortest route to the bridge goes through Usk, but for coming back from London, branching off at Swindon is easier. The only "slow" bit of road is near the Air Balloon pub, the rest of the A417/419 is upgraded and almost-motorway, as is a fair bit of the A40. I don't go up to Ross, mind, I cut through the forest of Dean - since the road from gloucester up to Ross is crap anyway, going through the forest is more scenic.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Which could well cost you more in fuel than the toll, depending on what u drive.

Reply to
hugh

Cost takes second place to principle.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

On or around Mon, 19 Dec 2005 13:27:48 -0000, "Huw" enlightened us thusly:

quite. I've been known to come back from Thornbury via Gloucester. Mind you, that was in a small, economical car.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Will Wilkinson writes

Another similar situation is the A6 north from Lancaster over Shap. You can see 'em all pounding up the M6 as you cruise along a nice wide empty road.

Reply to
hugh

Well bully for you. For me I've spent too many Friday evenings crawling up from Jn4 to Jn12 to worry about principles. Also think about all the pollutants you are inflicting on the residents of that part of Birmingham whilst you're stationary/crawling, while I'm cruising along with engine at max efficiency.

Reply to
hugh

In article , hugh writes

And it's got some stunning views too.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

In article , Tim Hobbs writes

Monmouthshire isn't part of Wales...

... but the sentiment is unanswerable.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

No, costs me less to get to M4 Reading- Heathrow corridor.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Not me ! I don't remember the last time I have been stuck in Birmingham in traffic. You just have to negotiate the appropriate route.

I have met Birmingham residents who didn't know about the existence of the M40.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

On or around Mon, 19 Dec 2005 15:08:42 GMT, SpamTrapSeeSig enlightened us thusly:

sez who?

ISTR it being one of those things that changed. But I reckon you'd find the current border on the eastern side of it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It's all a matter of perspective. I doubt the average NZ resident could tell you where the borders are - from this far away Wales is just the bit of England where leeks grow, and Scotland is the bit where men wear skirts. The reverse also seems to be true - from the Northern hemisphere NZ is viewed as a little place that's just off the coast of Australia despite the closest bit being about 3 hours by 747.

Reply to
EMB