series 3 88 tyre choices ( confusing numbers)

Ive been looking at some bronco Grisly Claws which i like very much. But the numbers confuse me a little. I have 205 16 at the moment they are MT tread and i know the 16 means 16 inch wheels. The 205 i guess is the width but they sometimes come with another number like 70. So if i get grisly claws for my series 3 88 then i wanted 265 width thats 10 inches i think. 16 inch wheels but i was told 33 inches high which seems too high for my wheel arches. whats a more acceptable height. 31 inch looks ok but im not sure.And what 70 type number is that ? How do i know if 265 is too wide and if i need 245 will it effect my turning circle before tyre touches body. Some people say get a smaller wheel and a higher rim.? hmm And finally i was told another number which tells you the height from wheel to top of tyre. Its all a bit confusing. Can anyone advise me please. I wanted a wide tyre that looks good but wont comprimise off road traction. Vehicle is used to drive to offroad events but primarily for offroading rather than road use. I keep getting stuck in wet sand at the moment ...

Jason Hall

Reply to
Jason Hall

Hi Jason

A 265x70x16 for example is 235mm wide, the height from the rim to the tread is 70% of the width (ie 70% of 235mm) and the diameter of the rim is

16inches.

Pretty much all the tyres you mention are too wide for a Series motor - with

265's you will need to be Arnie to turn the wheel and the vehicle is too light for this weight and will float on soft mud with no traction.

If you value traction over looks you need 750x16 tyres on a Series motor - a set of General SAG crossplies in that size will get you much further than any over size radials will and save you several hundred quid.

HTH.

Reply to
Exit

In news:%XGBc.1377$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-gui.server.ntli.net, Jason Hall expelled:

EMB

Do General still make the SAG's? I havn't seen them about recently, but the two I have on the rear of my 88 are fantastic, and I'd like a pair for the front as mine are nearly out.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I believe so, Bearmach still ist them as part number BA 3318

Reply to
Exit