Spare Tyre Relocation Recommendation

Hi All,
I have changed the tyres from stock to 265/75R16 BFG Muds, but the problem now is mounting the full size spare tyre on the factory mount. I have seen
two options on the Internet, and the third was suggested by a friend. Anybody had any experiences?
1) Buying a Tomken relocation kit - moving the tyre about 2.5 inches out and slightly higher.
2) Buying a Teraflex relocation kit - moving the tyre about 2.5 inches out and slightly higher. This is about half the price of option 1, but looks similar in design to option 1.
3) 2 inch wheel spacer on the mounting surface - moving the tyre about 2 inches out, but not any higher.
I have the longer bolts from a local hardware store for raising the third brake light. My question is which one of the above is likely to be okay with my hardtop rear glass not hitting the tyre while opening/raising.
Items 1 and 2 will have to be bought off the Internet and I would have to pay international shipping as well. Wheel spacer I can probably source from a local tyre shop.
What can I do to increase the rubber stumps on the tail gate to match the space after spare tyre relocation, which ensures there is minimal vibrations of the spare tyre.
Thanks TW
Duh........
Its a 2001 Wrangler Renegade (TJ).
Cheers, TW

seen
Are you sure that your wheel will not mount? Your new tires equate to basically a 31"x10.50"xR15 LT tire and I believe are the same size tires that come stock on the Rubicon here in the states. Did you get new wheels with a different off-set (backspacing)? You stated that your TJ is a 2001 and it may have shorter mounting studs on the spare tire mount, thus causing your problem.
One other cheaper trick to do is get the 3 stock mounting studs knocked out of the carrier and replace them with longer, 1/2" Diameter (Grade 8) bolts (Maybe about an Inch longer) and use washers and a lock nut to mount them in the holes on the mounting plate. The hitch is that the 3 studs are tack welded in and not pressed in like the studs in your wheel hubs. The top 2 should be fairly easy to get out, but the lower 3rd stud is harder to reach. It may have to be torched out.
The main problem is the studs not being long enough to catch the spare and get a lug on them. Longer bolts get you around this and you will not need to worry about raising the spare up unless you go up to a 33" tire. The bumper then gets in the way on the bottom. Also, with longer studs on the mount, you should not have to worry about extending the rubber bump stops, only raising the third brake light about an inch or so.
Regards,
GK

Another alternative is to take off the little rubber bumpers on the tailgate and shorten them. That will let the tire go further back so that the studs are now long enough.
I think you're correct, his tires should bolt right up to the stock carrier without an adapter. FWIW, I have a Tomken adapter I'll sell el- cheapo to get rid of it.

problem
out
looks
third
the
causing
out
in
reach.
bumper
Well, 265/75R16 comes to rough 31.8 inches, which is why it is not fitting on the stock spare mount. The tyre basically sits on the bumper and the bolt is marginally lower as well as shorter. I think for the time being I'll let the air out and see if it fits. I am in New Zealand, shipping from US will be relatively expensive. How is your experience with the adapter otherwise?
Thanks. TW

carrier

problem
out
looks
third
the
causing
out
in
reach.
bumper
I know my first post was a little more in depth, but I am an engineer by trade and tend to overcomplicate things at times. I have been dealing with this exact problem myself. I bought a new set of 32x11.50x15 this past Saturday. Anyway, I started thinking a little bit out of the box and decided try something else. Earlier this morning after my first post I just aired down the new tire to about 25 PSI and it popped right on the stock carrier enough to get the lug nuts on. Then I tightened it up and re-aired the spare back up to 32 PSI. No problems whatsoever. However, the 3rd brake light must still be extended about an inch to clear the new tire. The only problem you might encounter is the rear windshield wiper arm rubbing on the 3rd brake light body if you are running with a hard top. No problems obviously with a soft top or no top.
Regards again,
GK

with
decided
carrier
spare
must
you
Not a problem, I am a consultant by trade so I tend to make small problems into huge problems. I'll try it with airing down temporarily and see how it goes. I do need a more permanent solution. What do you think about the hub spacer idea? Could that work? I know in the long run I'll change the carrier when I do change the rear bumper.
Thanks for the attention and time in replying to my query. TW

aired
brake
with
the
A hub spacer would probably work, but they tend to be rather pricey for the type you would need and typically are sold in pairs. See: http://www.spidertrax.com/drivetrain_whs.htm The Teraflex extension unit Part#STEXT can be had for around $22-$25 USD.
GK

the
Thanks. It looks like I will have to order that from Teraflex or somebody. Shops here only sell hub spacers in sets of four (stupid market). Tried airing down and fitting the tyre, doesn't work even with tyre down to 12 psi. I seem to be solving one problem and creating the next one. Oh well, its life I guess.
Cheers TW
The stock Rubicon Tires in Canada are 245/75R16 I have Bridgestone Dueler MT 256/75R16 and they fit on the stock mount Only issue is the center tail light gets pushed back just enough that the rear wiper rubs on it a little. Other than that no problems

problem
out
looks
third
the
causing
out
in
reach.
bumper

They must have redesigned the carrier somehow because it not fitting on mine (which a Renegade - Sahara in US/Canada).
TW

causing
Tried it many times, but it does not fit. It is 10.50 inches wide, but it more like 31.8 inches in dia. I think your theory about the studs being shorter than previous models might be true.

out
bolts
in
reach.
I do have Grade 8 2 1/2 inch long 1/2 inch bolts and nuts. I'll see if this can be done relatively easily. I still think a hub spacer from a junk yard can also be used.

and
bumper
I am raising the third brake light by an inch or so. I have the bolts and nuts, when it stops raining I'll fix the problem.
Thanks TW
I've been told by a few people that the heavier tires have been known to damage the tail gate assembly. Either by bending at the hinges or just ripping the mount right off. I'd go with a new rear bumper/tire carrier combo. That's what I'm doing when I go to 33's.
Eric 99 TJ SE

seen

It is part of the bigger picture, but I need to prioritise which upgrade happens first. Rear bumper is after suspension and regearing and lockers. At some stage, I know I will end up upgrading front and rear bumpers.
TW
If you go for this option I have one for sale really cheap. I used it for a while then puchased a new rear bumper with tire carrier
1) Buying a Tomken relocation kit - moving the tyre about 2.5 inches out and slightly higher
Thanks for the offer, but I am in New Zealand.... Shipping this overseas will probably kill the cheap price option. I will order it over the Internet with other stuff to average shipping cost. Again, thanks for the offer.
TW -- 01 TJ Renegade 4.0L Auto Dana 44 rear, 265/75R16 BFG Muds