Series grinding its teeth....

Hi all, After a couple of miles or when engine warms up i start having grinding in the gearbox when i am changing gears especially third to
fourth.Can change gear ok just grinds and its ok when in gear.
Is this gearbox or clutch problems has anyone any ideas thanks?
(Series 3 2.25 1981 5bearing(red) engine,plenty of oil in gearbox )
Adrian Ford

Sounds like worn synchros in the gearbox.

Mine also gets crunchy as it gets warm. Takes about 30mins or 15miles in mine.
Why is it only evident when it gets warm? Im no gearbox expert but how do the syncros change as they get warmer? Id have thought that they would be pretty much either working all the time or not working all the time.
Is it something to do with the gear oil when it gets warm it thins if so is there a thicker type oil i could put in the gearbox . Just a thought!
Adrian

On or around Sun, 11 Jul 2004 23:52:55 +0100, Tom Woods

synchros are bascially a friction drive, in some form or another. could be that when the oil gets warm, the friction is less frictiony.
--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk my opinions are just that
"It is a characteristic of the human mind to hate the man one has injured"

"Synchronizers are used in manual transmissions in automobiles built since about 1960 to ease shifting gears by synchronizing the teeth speed prior to engagement. They allow the toothed collar and the gear to be brought to the same rotational speed before the teeth make contact. They consist of a soft metal (usually brass) cone attached to the gear that makes frictional contact with a cone-shaped cavity in the collar before the teeth are engaged."
from the wikepedia thing.
--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk my opinions are just that
"Pereant qui ante nos nostra dixerunt"

<blush>
awww. yer too kind.
</blush>
--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk my opinions are just that
"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

Its that hat! ;-)

Tea , white , none.
:-)
Lee D
On or around Thu, 15 Jul 2004 23:59:09 GMT, "Lee_D"
thusly:

any time yer passing, call in. better phone first, at that, or summat, otherwise I'd be bound to be out.
--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk my opinions are just that
Appearances: You don't really need make-up. Celebrate your authentic
Austin Shackles wrote:

Ditto - anyone visiting Auckland, New Zealand is welcome for a cup of tea, if not dinner once you've made the trek this far. And if you arrive via Landrover there's even a mechanic available.
As an aside, does anyone know anything of 3 women (probably from the British Midlands) who drove a series 2 through the Middle East, Asia and on to Australia about 1960?
--
EMB
change two to number to reply