series 3 lpg problems

Hi all, My series 3 2.25petrol has lpg fitted with one tank in the back of the swb with a gauge attatched to it. Costs about ten quid to fill and does about 30 miles from full to quarter full then needle starts swaying up and down (quarter to empty) and it starts to cut out.Also when engine is hot i cannot start again on gas have to switch to petrol to start.. Is this normal or is the gas setup wrong has anyone any ideas on this. How many miles should i be getting to a tank of lpg.

Thanks Adrian Ford

Reply to
Adrian Ford

When I was running my series 3 2.25 petrol SWB on LPG, I used to get 16 to

18 mpg. Your figure suggests just over 5 mpg so, yes, there's something very wrong there.

I never used to have problems starting on LPG with engine hot or cold [if anything, it was easier than with petrol as one couldn't flood the engine].

Hope that helps.

--> Greg

Reply to
grege

My LPG 3.5 V8i would start on petrol automagically, then switch to LPG. As to how many miles on a tank, well, how big is the tank? I used to get 14 - 21 mpg on gas, depending on heaviness of foot. I suspect you have gas feed problems from the tank to the vapouriser.

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

In message , Adrian Ford writes

Your tank should have it's total (water) capacity stamped on it. £10 to fill at say 40p per litre is 25 litres. That's a small tank for a 2.25. Is it mounted front - back on the wheel box? That would explain the behaviour when level gets low.

30 miles suggests you are doing 1 - 2 miles per litre - 5+ mpg. That suggests you either have a leek or you are running very rich.

Not all systems will start on gas.

Reply to
hugh

Reply to
Adrian Ford

With the tank mounted for/aft you are going to maximise the sloshing effect as the vehicle slows and accelerates. There are no baffles in an Autogas tank. I'm puzzled as to why anyone should mount it that way as an 80 litre tank will fit sideways behind the bulkhead on a series LR. Was it a DIY job? I would recommend you identify the make and model of the vaporiser and then post on uk.rec.cars.lpg Chances are there's someone on there with your specific type. Hugh