SIII problem selecting Gears

Hi,

We have just purchased a 1981 SIII SWB 2.25 Petrol Land Rover. We have a problem that when the engine is idling, it is near impossible to select any gears. If the transfer box is put into neutral, then we can select any gear, and then put transfer box back into gear, with no problem.

Once moving, we can select any gear, and the gearbox changes up and down the gears with out any problems. There is a Fairey O/D fitted, and this seems to be working OK.

Any ideas what could be causing the problems with the initial selection of gears ?

Many Thanks

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Sounds like a dragging clutch, try putting it on the level, selecting first, pushing the clutch in and taking your handbrake and wheel brakes off and seeing if you creep forwards.

Also try pushing the clutch pedal down further when you change gear initially.

To fix, find out why it's not disengaging properly, unless you've been messing with the adjustment it's most likely a problem in master or slave cylinder.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Has the clutch been out recently? I ask as one of the (many!) possible causes is the little nylon bush that goes in the clutch arm pivot is missing, which can give symptoms you describe - but then so can air in the slave cylinder (is the bleed nipple at the top - exactly where its a bugger to get at) and badly set end-float on the pedal (is the pedal at the right height?), and "tired" fingers on the clutch cover. and a partially melted release bearing holder, and does it have the right oil in it (EP90), and..... well, it goes on a bit....

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

What happens if the first gear you try to engage is reverse? Crunchy noises or not?

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

Hi,

If reverse is selected, it goes in without any bother or noise, but then going from reverse to 1st or 2nd is not always possible. Think I will replace the slave cylinder as I have a new spare, and see if that improves the situation, unless you have any other ideas ?

Andy

Reply to
Andy

I wouldn't bother - if it'll go straight into reverse without any noise there's nothing wrong with the clutch assembly.

I'd be changing the gearbox oil for ordinary EP90 and then driving it for a few miles to see if it settles down.

Reply to
EMB

I am also of the opinion that the clutch is not involved.

I think that the clue may be in your comment that with the transfer box in neutral there is no problem. The overdrive may also be involved.

Could you repeat your tests with the overdrive in neutral but the transfer box still engaged? I'm not expecting anything different but you never know ....

The general line of thinking is that fitting the overdrive (any idea if it was done recently?) can upset the end float in the mainshaft which could adversely affect the first/second synchro area. The installation may have been poor, something loose, end float not set up correctly, tab washer missing (it's slightly different with the overdrive as it needs to fit inside the overdrive input gear).

The next step might be to remove the overdrive and check that area - not too difficult to do.

Reply to
Dougal

Adding just a bit more -

So far three situations have been tried:

- stationary - transfer gear engaged

- stationary - transfer gear disengaged

- mobile - transfer gear engaged

The difference is that in the first (and problematical case) the mainshaft is held stationary. There's something stopping first and second engaging cleanly which points to the first/second synchro area. Either there is something fundamentally faulty there (I hope not) or it is being affected by something external e.g. a mainshaft end float problem.

Reply to
Dougal

Wow, so much to think about. I can see many hours ahead staring at the various boxes under the SIII.

Thank you to everyone for your input. Will keep you posted when I do find the problem.

Regards

Andy

Reply to
Andy

First time I had box problems I opened the manual & studied the drive train logic till I worked out what it was - I was able to work out precisely which shaft had failed & whereabouts, having noted the symptoms from the tests I'd done and relating those to the manuals. I'd never worked on any box before, let alone a Series with such a large & heavy box (well, that's how it seemed at the time)

The beauty of the Series is that it's just a Meccano kit with a Land Rover badge on the bonnet :)

Good luck, & keep us posted.

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

... and one final thought -

The "fundamentally faulty" may be nothing more disasterous than worn first/second synchro cones (but that doesn't make them any easier to change) evidence of which may be less severe symptoms when the gearbox oil is really cold.

Try this as a workaround - if wishing to engage first/second when stationary, initially engage third then engage first/second. Do not engage the clutch between the two actions.

Good Luck.

Reply to
Dougal