Series III turobcharger, ...sparewheelholder

Hello,

can someone remember of a turbocharger for the Series III diesel models? - Any experiences, or a place where to purchase. I've looked at Paddocks's but didn't find anything. (I think of a combination "ashcroft transmission upgrade & maybe a turbocharger")

Second does someone know where to get a "holder" for the sparewheel on the bonnet.

Thanx to all

Norbert

Reply to
nfb

Bonnet one's are like rocking horse shit. If you're in the UK I've got a back door one somewhere though.

Reply to
Manley

In message , nfb writes

Don't do it !

Waste of money on a 22 + year old engine.

I would estimate the engine life to be measured in minutes after fitting a turbo.

Fit a 2.5 TD engine complete. Even that won't last very long, they never did from new !!

Tdi is better option with obvious increase in cost.

Cheapest and easiest option for more power in a series III is to fit a

2.5 petrol engine. Pick them up for less than a turbo and never go wrong!

Re spare wheel mount on bonnet. There are lots available second hand in the UK usually complete with bonnet. But don't fit the spare wheel on the bonnet if you do fit a turbo to the series III engine as you will get fed up with opening it.

Good luck

Reply to
Marc Draper

I don't remember anyone doing a turbo kit for a Series III. Turner Engineering do a kit to upgrade the top end I think (might be petrol only though).

Some parts for the Series II/III spare wheel carrier are still available, but the kits are obsolete at LR.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

=>>>Why??? Sorry for my english, but what do you mean? Good or bad?

Am Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:11:37 +0100 schrieb Manley:

Reply to
nfb

Had a Series 3 with a freight rover engine in it. That seemed to go well. I am told they bolt in on the same mountings but rev quite a bit higher than the landy oil burner. also a few more cc. Dont know where you would get hold of one now though. B more reliable than a 2.25 with a turbo. You may find you dont need to open the bonnet too much then the spare wheel wont be so much of an issue..

Reply to
Bartty

On or around Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:48:25 +0100, "Bartty" enlightened us thusly:

from a freight rover 300 - plenty of scrap ones around. very similar engine to the 2.5NAD. Not quite a bolt-in replacement for the 2.25, though, I don't think.

later freight rovers (400 type) use the 2.5 peugeot in NA and trurbo forms, and since they also use the R380 gearbox, it's quite likely that they can be fitted to LRs.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

What about the LDV van things? Are they the same/similar?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Sorry I mean 'hard to find tgood exampes of at a reasonable price'

Reply to
Manley

Agreed. I put in a Transit 2.5DI and it's ideal, if a little torquey. I could do with an extra gear really.

Reply to
Manley

I think I have got one, can you describe exactly what you need.

Rich

transmission

Reply to
Rich

I think I have got one, can you describe exactly what you need.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

On or around Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:48:30 +0000 (UTC), "Steve" enlightened us thusly:

that's what we're on about. the smaller LDV vans (200 series) used to use the 2l Perkins Prima and later ones use the 1.9 Peugeot, neither of which would be up to much in a LR. The Prima in turbo form ex Montego or Maestro would be OK in a SWB.

Leyalnd Daf, freight rover, LDV are all the same thing. The LR-type engine (15J, ISTR) is in the 300 type, the 400 type tends to have the Peugeot 2.5.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I have two bonnet type spare wheel carriers one comes complete with bonnet bolts and clamps the second is just the mounting plate on its own both are for sale the plate on its own could be posted I am in W.Yorks I have been running 2.5td in my 2a for 6 years now and I think they are a good retro fit ( on my second lump now) the 1st one expired after being fully submerged in sludge for an hour mind you so did the diffs gearbox and turbo up until this point the engine had been very reliable it is used daily and off roaded monthly so long as you look after them their ok

Hope this helps Icky

Reply to
the ickys

I think it is just a straight swap. Only thing to change is the throttle linkage and running a wire for the fuel cut out solenoid. It also needs a custom radiator top pipe (unless you swap the top of the thermostat housing off a landy 2.25) Fairly trivial as engine swaps go!

you may also need one engine mount adaptor - Mine came out of a series before going in mine, but looking at it one of the engine mounts could have a very well made adaptor, but i'm not sure.

Reply to
Tom Woods