alternator Series III Diesel

Hi all,

maybe someone can help.

Problem:

The voltmeter in my Series usually shows about 12-13V. Since a month or so, the voltage goes up to 17V, or even to the max. This behaviour does not depend on the driving speed! All electrical equipment ist lighter (lights), even the washer speeds up!

After a few minutes the voltage goes back to its normal value!

Should I check the alternator (take it out)? for repair, or are there any other components (regulator?) to check before?

I found a voltage regulator in the dashboard, replaced it, without any sucsuccess.

Thank you all for ideas an mayvbe help!

Norbert

Reply to
nfb

On or around Fri, 09 Mar 2007 11:37:26 +0100, nfb enlightened us thusly:

exchange the alternator before it fries everything. It'll also overcharge the battery.

regulator's on the way out, most likely.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

That, I would imagine, is the regulator that provides a constant voltage to some instrumentation. It's nowt to do with regulating alternator output.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

If the alternator has an external voltage sensing lead check that it is in good condition with good clean, tight connections at both ends.

Reply to
Dougal

Am Fri, 09 Mar 2007 11:37:26 +0100 schrieb nfb:

This afternoon the voltage went down to 4V for some minutes (stop and go traffic), and then, everything was normal again...

I think I will take out the alternator, maybe it can be repaired, dont know how much a new one will cost.

Thank you all for help, I will keep you updated, so that others can maybe find my work valuable.

nice weekend

Norbert

Reply to
nfb

voltage reg and brush pack is a seperate replaceable unit on my car's alternator. costs under £15 from the bosch shop.

Reply to
Tom Woods

The problem will be in your alternator - the voltage regulator in the alternator is not working reliably. This is integral with the alternator and is replaceable. JD

Reply to
JD