Series : Relocating the battery.

I'd like to relocate the battery on Percy to indoors. Is there a method of joining the old leads to new longer ones which I can then locate where I want inside the cabin? I'm wondering the best method os isolationg the positive cable without the need to run a whole load of new wires to the lewly located battery.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Sat, 09 Oct 2004 19:34:34 GMT, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

^^^^^ IRTA "lewdly".

however...

IME the best technique is to connect all the auxiliary wires to the other end of the main positive, i.e. at the starter. The main positive lead can go wherever you want without disconnecting owt else.

on the 110, when I wanted a new positive lead, I found that a good source of a long fat red lead was half a pair of 25mm² jump leads with 'orrid plastic clips, one of which had melted. Couple of new terminals, one battery and one flat one with a hole, and I had a 2m positive lead. It's possible that it could have usefully been thicker, mind, so maybe it'd work better to 2 lengths in parallel.

resist the temptation to join another battery lead to the existing one, as this will simply create a new failure point.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

You could use one of those battery cut off switches to make the join.

Reply to
Larry

Battery cut-out switch (one of those heavy-duty boat ones)? Put the ring connector currently (ha ha, no pun intended!) connected to the starter solenoid on one side of the switch after you've relocated the battery. Then make up a new battery lead with a ring either end, one from the second pole of the cut-out switch and the other end back to the solenoid/starter connection. If you put the BCO in a discrete place you've got an additional anti-theft device too. That's what I did when I relocated the battery on my SIII to go under the left hand seat.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Usual method is to run a new starter lead from the new battery location (under seat?) to the starter solenoid. All other power is taken from this starter solenoid terminal. The earth lead should run from the battery to the closest convenient bolt on the gearbox or engine, with a link to earth the chassis to the engine. JD

Reply to
JD