Series Three diesel engine

Hi Group I am postin g this query for a friend in Sri Lanka. He has stripped down a series three diesel engine and found it has gears and not a timing chain. Engine number 36900395D known as a terracota red engine (I'm told) He needs any information on timing up the engine. Valve timing that is . When set according to the flywheel marks with exhaust valves fully open, it is very difficult to get the idler gear in. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance Alan R

Reply to
Roberts

Just had a look through the LR Manual and for the life of me I cant find any reference to a gear only timing arrangement. My dim memory seems to recall some aftermarket timing kits in the 1980s, but that does nt help too much. You might find posting the VIN will elicit a few more answers but if its not original engine then who knows?

Most timing gears are marked in some way or the woodruff key positions force the timing to be correctly lined up when the timing marks on the flywheel are correct. The EB mark on the flywheel is used on the 2.2 diesel. You have 3 chances of getting it wrong by lining up the timing mark with the wrong piston at top dead centre.

Reply to
Roger