200Tdi Defender engine with timing CHAIN????

People Hi,

a friend has opened his Defender 200Tdi engine to change the timing belt and he just called me to say that they found a timing chain instead of a belt.

The amazing thing is that the engine has around 250.000 Km on its clock and was NEVER before opened to change the timing belt (or chain as it was now found)

Does anyone of you know of any other Defender 200Tdi engine been fitted with a timing chain from the factory?

The vehicle is 1991 model year.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Hi Pantelis, sounds very interesting. Can you get photos?

Would be interesting to know engine number and vehicle number. As you know with LR research, these numbers can save a lot of work.

Cheers

Phillip Simpson

Reply to
Phillip Simpson

Given it's taken so long to check the belt is hie sure its a 200 tdi and not a VM?

Lee D.

Reply to
Lee_D

The VM has gears......

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

People Hi,

unfortunately the engine was closed before I had the time to take any photos but I have been promised to be able to take photos if they open it up again in the future.

Serial number of the engine and vehicle will be available in about a week (the owner just left for a week long shooting trip to northern Greece)

What I tell you though right now is that it was one of the VERY first 200Tdi engined Defender 110 that were sold in Greece in 1989. So this should make the engine a 11L

And it is definately a 200Tdi.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

I knew that... I was just checking to see if any one would pick up on my deliverate mistake.

;0)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Note to self :- learn to type before getting drunk.

Reply to
Lee_D