Slightly OT: minimum specs for compressor

Thinking about acquiring one for the garage. Some paint spraying and jobs like tyre inflating, fence spraying etc. Probably not major league air-powered tools!

The Machine Mart catalogue has a bewildering selction to choose from. I thought maybe the Airmaster Tiger 8/35: 7cfm, 10bar, 24ltr receiver,

1=2E5hp motor, =A3140.

Does that seem a reasonable choice for hobby/DIY use? If not, can anyone suggest a list of specs or recommend one they use?

I looked on Ebay but most of the secondhand stuff looks like it's had a hard life!

Reply to
Jerry

I got mine from ebay but it was a new one, cheaper than Machine mart. The only thing I would say is get the one with the biggest tank you can.

Mine is 50 ltr and I wish I had got a 100ltr, I use air tools and I find the drills and grinders soon drain the tank.

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel

Don't under estimate the requirements for paint spraying, depending on the type of gun this can be one of the most demanding loads for a compressor. Also consider how cheap air tools are, £100 for a set of 6 on ebay for example, at that price you may well regret buying a compressor that won't power them!. Have you looked for second hand ones?, I got one at a machinery auction for around £120, it's a twin cylinder 14cfm with 150l reservoir and about the minimum you need to run air tools, Clarke sells them for £350 so there are bargains to be had.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

The Machine Mart catalogue has a bewildering selction to choose from. I thought maybe the Airmaster Tiger 8/35: 7cfm, 10bar, 24ltr receiver,

1.5hp motor, £140.

Does that seem a reasonable choice for hobby/DIY use? If not, can anyone suggest a list of specs or recommend one they use?

I looked on Ebay but most of the secondhand stuff looks like it's had a hard life!

I upgraded to a 3hp 50litre as I found the 1.5hp 25 litre was not quite up to handling impact drivers and other high demand tools plenty for light sprayers inflaters and suchlike - I'm very happy with it if you have a Makro card keep an eye open as they have them now and again at very good prices or if you are near Chelford call in at the market on sundays and save a few quid at the tool merchants by the poultry cages when I find his business card I'll post up a link. Derek

Reply to
Derek

ive got a clarke rebel 30 (9cfm 2.5hp 24ltr apparently). I'm very happy with it. Got it second hand off mr Davies when he bought himself a posher one!. I've never tried any air tools on it but it has so far sprayed the 101 and 2 cars and various bits and pieces and inflated a few tyres.

The only thing ive found about it is that 24litres is not quite enough capacity to spray a complete car bonnet or roof without running out of go. I still managed it but it took a bit of care to avoid a line where i had to pause for air.

Reply to
Tom Woods

just adding that the day i manage to get a garage (it lives in my utility room and i work outside) I shall be after a compressor of the same or greater power rating but with a larger tank. I used my dads old 1.5hp clarke one for half a car and in comparison mine is much nicer.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Would you like me to point you in the direction of the loon that ran in the side of the Rangie? Bless him! :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

now if you just wanted a larger tank to act as a slave I have a spare not sure exactly what capacity but around 90 litre I was going to refurb the motor but it got screwed up when a mong decided it wasn't worth refurbing and kindly skipped it with the drive coupling attached it still has a pump on (ingersoll rand ) safety vlave and starter cut out box but no motor and drive coupling and since I bought the other one I don't really need it any longer. Derek

Reply to
Derek

That's probably ok for pumping up tyres and blowing dust off things, but when it comes to serious tools or spray painting you probably want a bit more output and receiver capacity. I'd suggest looking for at least

12cfm and a 50 litre receiver for painting or extended use of tools such as impact wrenches.

The other thing to be aware of is whether the output is being stated and free air displacement (ie the swept volume of the compressor cylinders), or a true output at a given pressure (normally either 40 or 90 psi). You'll need at least 6cfm at 90psi to paint with.

As a general rule a belt driven compressor (ie the pump running much slower than motor speed) is more reliable and longer lasting than a direct driven compressor. It's also worth considering adding and extra receiver to your compressor when painting to reduce the number of stop/start cycles the compressor does - a general rule for fixed workshop compressors is a maximum of 30 stop/starts a day (an old LPG cylinder makes a good extra receiver).

Reply to
EMB

90 litres no a bit more 27 diameter 69 wide= approx 115litre - £35 quid anyone?? Derek
Reply to
Derek

I dont have the space at the moment :( I have a set of shelves and a desk in the house where all my tools live and i carry them up the garden to use them!

Reply to
Tom Woods

You think you have space issues mate as well we have a bath in the garage which is making it very difficult to get owt done I really must get time off work so I can get it fitted apparently I'm too busy - like I hadn't noticed.

Derek is Loctite supposed to lock up a bolt while you are still tightening it up?

Reply to
Derek