Somewhat OT but good Terrain Response

This is an interesting video of a 4-legged robot with terrain response built in. Amazing how advanced these things are nowadays, especially the part where they try to kick it over but it adapts and refuses to fall. It's a bit more human like than I'd prefer :-)

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Gibbs

In a book on Robotics I've got, there are "four legged truck" research projects going back to the '50s and '60s, manually controlled however. The one in the video is pretty impressive, especially when it goes over the small rocks and some sticky mud, no really extreme slopes or obstacles but impressive. The chassis and gear looks heavy too.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

It's bizarre what sort of responses seeing something so animal-like provokes. When the guy kicked it, my first thought was 'bastard'. My second thought was "get a grip Hobbs"....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

...and Tim Hobbs spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

That's the creepiest thing I've seen in ages. You'd swear it was two skinny blokes with their heads and bodies in a packing crate. I had the same feelings as you, but not with the name Hobbs, obviously.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I must admit, it does seem remarkably good at withstanding unexpected de-stabiliation. Now if only they could get a two-legged version to be that stable.....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

That's brill, but what happens when it (?) learns to kick him back. :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily