spring id please

Came off the rear of a 1990ish RR - purple and white stripe. I can't find reference to them anywhere. They're 16.5 inches free length but I'll have to count the coils. The only option I can see at the moment is that the white is a faded pink ... but it doesn't look it.

Reply to
AndyG

Probably NRC8113 pink/purple colour code 16.5" 180lb/in RR rear?

HTH

Reply to
Adrian England

What I suspected but the white isn't even vaguely tinged with pink ...

Reply to
AndyG

HI Andy,

I've just bought some red/white H/D Range Rover rears (they're going on the front of my Disco) the red isn't really red. More maroon.

Best bet might be to take some measurements.

You've more than likely seen this site already.

Ed

To reply, remove my appendix

Reply to
Ed

In message , Ed writes

Yes I've seen that site. Someone suggested EFi progressives. Looking at them they are certainly progressive. The colour code doesn't match with anything I've got though - possibly because I'm too old and can't see properly or perhaps they really are odd ones ... definitely purple/white, no tinges of red or pink to be seen by me or the bloke who donated them to 'the cause' ... but he's also old ...

Reply to
AndyG

I'd hazzard a guess that they are actually orange/white (or vice versa!) which would make then RRC Heavy duty rears - the orange used is very red!

Richard

richard.watson

If you can give me an accurate wire size (measured with micrometer or very near guage) no. of active coils and outside dia of spring I'll calculate the spring rate for you. Metric or Imperial

Reply to
Adrian England

In message , Adrian England writes

approx 8.25 active coils, wire diameter 14.88mm, o/d 150mm

They're definitely purple and white - looking at them in very good daylight the colours are very clear. Maybe somebody ran out of pink paint or perhaps they're not LR OEM ...?

Reply to
AndyG

Comes up with 127lb/in . Just remember very small errors on wire dia will give large error in end result (it is multiplied by power of 4 in calculation).

Reply to
Adrian England

When number of coils are quoted by Land Rover is that the active coils or does that include the 'seating coil' at each end - I've never actually looked? Whichever it is, 8.25 or 10.25 coils, and bracket the estimate of the rate figure up even towards 150lb/in or so (though the measurement should be fairly good) and nothing still matches any springs I can find spec for ... but there are still gaps in my data.

Reply to
AndyG

Active coils means any coil supporting the load, so it is the whole spring really. Unless you do have a progressive spring, then active coils are removed as the spring compresses. For example the info you gave me would result in a rising rate spring as follows:

Active Coils Spring Rate

8.25 127lb/in 7.25 144lb/in 6.25 165lb/in 5.25 194lb/in 4.25 234lb/in As you can see each time a coil is compressed against the end coil the rate changes by greater amounts. Naturally this change is progressive, hopefully, these are just snapshots at the point each coil is completely removed.
Reply to
Adrian England

In message , Adrian England writes

This is particularly in-depth for this group! I assume all this relies on the assumption that all springs are metallurgically similar. I'm sure many of us are aware that springs are born 'equivalents' but then can soften to different extents with time but is there supposed to be a standard initial make up for them?

Reply to
AndyG

Yes it does, and excluding really really cheap springs they are the same material. But the big difference between cheap springs and good springs is heat treatment. Good, read expensive, springs don't sag. Period. Unfortunately we have to made do at the shallow end of the pool.

Reply to
Adrian England