Bloody cars.............

Freezing cold morning this morning & there battery was flat. I was fitting my TOMTOM stuff last night & left the bloody interior & puddle lights on all night ffs!!

Then, a really odd one, I'm driving normally at normal speed & I hear a pop from the back end. Slowly over the next hour the cars arse end gets very floaty & bouncy. I have a good look round to find it's blown it's NSR damper. Not a hint of damping action, heave it up & it bounces around for ages!! Never had one go like that before!!

Nige (RICHARD!!!!!)

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige

have you ever had one injest water ( on a mini btw) thats real fun when it freezes no damping required the suspension is just rock solid first pot hole and your fillings fall out, bit like a SII I used to play with Derek

Reply to
Derek

Nope, but this one had me going for a bit as i thought the air suspension had chucked a mental after the dead battery incident!! It is amazing how much control they actually have & the punishment they must take!!

Nige

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige

Though perhaps "Bounce" may be more appropriate.

Reply to
rads

On or around Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:45:30 -0000, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

chucked a mental after the

punishment they must

's true. even fscked dampers damp amazingly, compared to no dampers at all.

gotta do dampers on the minibus. Tempted to get some rear disco ones and devise a way of attaching 'em to the axle (the LDV ones are eyes both ends) on the grounds that rear disco ones are cheap as chips and LDV ones cost an arm and a leg by comparison

tried welding an eye on the bottom of an old LR one in place of the stud, but the heat blew the damper. 'course, it might've been weak due to rust, but I'm not sure I want to chance it on one that's cost money.

I am aware that series dampers (or some of) are eyes both ends, but they don't work - its' got some at the moment by way of an experiment, and they didn't really damp enough when put on there, and certainly don't now. The LDV is on single-leaf springs, which obviously have no inherent damping unlike a multileaf LR spring. Dampers designed for coil springs are, I assume, stiffer.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

chucked a mental after the

the punishment they must

How about...

RTC4235 Shock Absorber - Rear - Heavy Duty - 88in £17.86 inc VAT RTC4234 Shock Absorber - Front - Heavy Duty - 88in £17.86 inc VAT

these have been made to fit Isuzu Troopers!

or if your lottery ticket comes up.......

DA4163 88 Rear De-Carbon Gas Shock Absorber £37.60 inc VAT DA4162 88/109 De-Carbon Front Gas Shock Absorber £35.24 inc VAT

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:13:10 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

d' you mean "people have used them on" by that, or "the same damper also fits" ?

What I put on it are the Spanish ones that Chris Perfect had to go with parabolic springs. Might be that they're crap, of course.

The front ones have "small" eyes, as well, originally, although the front ones don't seem as bad as the rears.

D'you know whether HD ones are different rate, or just better made or more oil in 'em or something?

wot about the 1 Ton ones? are they double-eye fitting? The 88 is probably a lighter vehicle and made to take less load than the minibus - I expect the minibus' spring rates are nearer to a 1 ton LR...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin, what is the set-up you have ? chassis and rear axle ? you want to use disco dampers which have what sort of fixings at each end..

Rich

had chucked a mental after the

& the punishment they must
Reply to
Rich

I think a bit of jiggery-pokery was involved - I'll ask him when I see him.

They take more effort to push and pull - I've never quantified that.

RTC4231 Shock Absorber - Front - 1-Ton - 109 £15.27

I can't detect whether there is more damping, but they are a tad longer I think

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:23:42 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

so presumably stiffer, and thus may be what I want, at that.

The ones on the minibus are the same length (and for all I know, same unit) front and rear, but with smaller eyes on the front ones, although it's possible to fit the series LR size eyes, I've done so, needed a bit of modding to the bushes.

LR front ones are a bit shorter (shut and open) while rear ones are a bit longer. Technically, the front ones could in theory affect the front axle travel, except for the fact that there isn't that much movement even if you jack it up one-sided so that one front wheel is off the ground - the springs don't have that much give. The longer ones on the rear of course will technically give a bit more travel, but again, the suspension just doesn't flex that much. Neither damper when fully shut will stop the axle hitting the bumpstops, in my judgment, so from that point of view they're OK. I guess if the 1 ton front ones are a bit longer, they might suit the front better, assuming they're equally stiff, that is.

However, the front ones at the moment don't seem too bad - 's the back end that's being especially unruly - so mebbe I'll just order a pair of rear HD.

Any difference between LWB and SWB? Or are they different fitting? My series book is outside...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 30 Nov 2005 15:48:23 GMT, "Rich" enlightened us thusly:

It's for an LDV Convoy. The original dampers are ring both ends, but disco ones are ring at the top and thread at the bottom. I could however make an adpater to go on the axle. But I might try some HD series ones on it first

- since they fit with no mods at all.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Which did you send me Richard?

ta

Nige

Reply to
Nige

The 88 and 109 fronts have different part numbers, the 109 rears have a pin at the bottom rather than a loop.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

38a Rear - Armstrong Richard
Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Thu, 1 Dec 2005 09:26:19 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

ah, thought that might be the case.

I'll think about it some more.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Horrid horrid suspension on the front of them. Our fleet spent along time off the road with mounts torn off.... then again we didn't hold back on the horses at speed bumps as we tended to be in somewhat of a hurry when going for chips.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D