300TDI vs TD5

I'm looking for a secondhand (four or five years old ) Defender and I wonder what a better choice is...a late 300TDI or an early TD5. Because I drive a Landrover for 8 years now (first a SIII 88 and now a

90TD) I know every Landrover has some "build in problems :-) " So my question is:What can I expect from a TD 5 and from a 300TDI? I know for example,the early 300TDI has/had some timingbelt problems ..butI don't know if these problems are solved in the later engines...

Leo

Reply to
Leo

stephen.oconnell

|| why cant i get my messages to show on alt.fan.landrover ? ||

But you can!

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I have heard that the TD5 is a lot more reliable than the TDi. In South Africa the Tdi has a shocking reputation with typical 200 000Km between overhauls and a typical overhaul running you close to R40 000.00 which is a whole lot of wedge.

That being said, I have recently read on this NG that a cylinder head for a TD5 runs you UKP 2 000.00 with injectors costing UKP 400.00 each. Bear in mind that injectors are a wear item which probably need to be changed every

80 000km or so (other on the group may be better placed to advise on this distance.)

So at best after a period of ownership you are looking at 2K for injectors.

In south africa I would then be looking at something in the region of R25

000.00 for a set of injectors and probably about the same for a cylinder head. On that basis I have decided to confine my search for a slightly newer vehicle to replace my SerIII to a '91 110 V8. I am not sure if they still offer the 110 in V8 guise in england, but here you can only get the TD5. Also after 91-92 they stopped galvanizing the chassis -at least in SA- so these are the best years to look out for.

If you are earning in UKP then the service costs might not scare you quite as much as they do me at somthing like 11ZAR/1UKP but even, so 2000quid is a lot of loot in anyones language. Some spuclate that the TDI problems stem from our relatively poor quality diesel (we have a lot more sulphur content -although this is being reduced) and they don't seem to be quite as bad in the UK so perhaps that is a better bet.

The diesel boffins might be abel to help out here but the fellow who overhauled my injector pump said that he would not touch a newer common rail diesel with a barge pole. He said that running out of diesel would do major damage to the injector pump, and I am sure he had a buch of other reasons. He was defintely against electronic fuel metering especially in a LR application.

I would suggest that you ask local engineering shops who rebuild a lot of engines and get their opinions on what they like and dislike.

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

On or around Wed, 3 Mar 2004 08:30:02 +0200, "fanie" enlightened us thusly:

they stopped galvanising the chassis on LRs in the UK in about 1958. more's the pity.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Actually 1948 I think! As far as I know the only Landrovers with galvanised chassis ex factory were/are very early 1948 production, Australian "perentie"army contract 110s, and Landrovers built in South Africa during sanctions. There may have been other special order batches as well. JD

Reply to
JD