Sunroof

The other day, as i was driving the mobile sauna that is my 101, I was thinking how nice it would be to have a sunroof.

It looks like there may be space in the cab roof to fit 2 of those pop-up glass sunroofs (like 50% of cars around in the 80's seems to have had). I havent had a proper measure up yet, but i'm sure i can fit atleast one in there!

Can anybody tell me anywhere where you can buy pop up sunroofs designed for vehicles with flat rooves? Preferably cheap ones too! :)

Ive had a bit of a google, but havent yet found much, and am waiting to hear back from what i did find..

Reply to
Tom Woods

Is it an ambi? If so, remove the roof hatch in the rear, open the windows between front and rear, and you should get a good airflow in through the window.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

You could always buy a Land Rover one....

The military sun roof I fitted to mine cost about 80 quid, brand new, genuine part. It comes complete with everything you need to fit it and is pre-painted in NATO green.

The difference betweeen the military sunroof and the civillian one ( apart from nearly 200 quid) is that the tilt up panel (which you can also remove completely) is metal rather than glass.

I can dig out the part number if you're interested or contact Maddison4x4 and ask for the same sunroof that Dave White bought off them earlier this year as they'll have it on the computer. I don't think it's listed in the normal parts catalogues.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

On or around Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:56:44 +0100, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

rob 'em from 200-type discos, but the sods leak.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I had exactly this thought a while back (which came to nowt as usual) but I think you need a Webasto catalogue from memory.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

You need a Heki Rooflight.... Much better than a glass sunroof as you can use it to access a tent fitted over your escape hatch. Should stop at least one leak then ;-)

anyway your wondering what the heck a heki is... well here you go... can be opened fully up, half opened or on vent... comes with fly screen and blind which roll into each side so if it's real hot and you want some shade you can roll out half the blind and half the fly screen as they clip together.

Many caravans come with them factory fitted now.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Ive removed the center bulkhead, and usually take out the hatch too. still gets too hot in there!

Reply to
Tom Woods

I didnt know that landrover made proper sunroofs!. I will definately have a look for one.

What sort of roof are they? Just the simple lift up/hinged glass type?

Reply to
Tom Woods

Does the disco have a flat roof?. I have considered robbing off another vehicle, but am assuming that most dont have flat rooves, so i'll have fun making one seal in a 101..

Reply to
Tom Woods

Have found their website, and they make em!. no prices on it though. will try and find a dealer.

Reply to
Tom Woods

I was considering getting a tent and cutting a big hole in the bottom so that i could enter it through the roof hatch! :)

They look expensive!. nice though!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Yep... only downside is the loss of floorspace.

Aye... check any roof before fitting to make sure it's flat... or it will leak very soon after fitting if not immediately.. Even the Disco roof has a cure. Unless you get a roof where the glass can be removed I don't think it's going to make that much difference to the circulation. What ever you fit will be pretty permenant unless you rivet a new pannel on so give it some serious thought before getting the tin opener out.

Reply to
Lee_D

I dont know. The lift up sunroof in the hardop for my landy made a lot of difference (it wouldnt remove as i had a roof rack over it!)

I think a sunroof, just lifted at the back sort of sucks the air out of the vehicle somewhat and makes it cooler.

I would prefer one that comes all the way out though.

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Sun, 12 Sep 2004 23:03:28 +0100, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

f***er doesn't seal anyway. but yer right, 's not completely flat. I could if I remember lay a straightedge across the glass and see if it it or isn't.

I'd have thought that the rear roof on the disco was pretty flat though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

What does the sunroof on the disco look like?. is it just a glass slift up/removable one, but larger? I need to go find some discos to look at!

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Mon, 13 Sep 2004 11:09:42 +0100, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

early (200-type) discos have a glass panel lift/remove affair in the front and a lift-but-not-remove in the back. Screws down on to a rubber alleged seal with a big knob at the back edge.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

How do these work Dave?

I'd like one with full, forward or rear elevations. Forward to act as a scoop (similar to the vent Neil Lawson* has in his Radio Bodied 101) to force air in and down on me whilst driving, full for 'parked up' ventilation, and rear for light ventilation.

Does that make sense??? :-)

I like the idea of metal as it's more secure and I'm not arsed about looking up whilst trying to avoid suicidal white-van-tosser-man...

  • Neil was at Peterborough and reckons the forward opening vents were better than his aircon unit - which does kind of make sense.
Reply to
Mother

Tom

2 other solutions -

Roger Hill-cottingham has adapted his windows in the door so he can slide the front section as well and that is very good at drawing air out of the cab

Or

checkout neil lawsons truck on

i think, he has made 2 hatches which open at the front to force air into the cab

Rich

Reply to
Rich Clafton

They are exactly the same as the glass ones, just have an aluminium panel instead of a glass one. The front is hinged and the back has a handle that you use to tilt the back up. If you unclip the handle you can lift the panel even further up and the hinges at the front then dislocate so you can remove the panel completely.

Sounds a bit like a caravan air vent... I've not seen anything like that fitted to a vehicle though.

The best vents I've ever used were from a Series Safari Roof. They are quite small and we used to have one over the drivers seat and one over the navigators seat when we were doing hill rallies. They are only about

5 inches wide and 10 inches long (from memory). I suppose you could mount two of them side by side - one facing each way.

I'm pretty sure I've got some in the shed somewhere if you want to see some pictures. They'll fit into any flat roof panel. I suppose you COULD mount one into a metal sunroof panel to achieve all the options you want...

Glass sunroofs also make the car hotter if it's parked in the sun. They also have a nasty habit of shattering when you roll your vehicle onto it's roof (although I guess that's less likely to be a problem with Grumble :-)) which is why MSA regs don't allow glass sun roofs for speed events.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

There are a number of different glass ones fitted to Defenders but they are all the same size and are all simple hinged types. The glass ones cost over 200 quid IIRC, the military style metal one is identical in every other way to a glass one and costs 80 quid (ish).

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White