Sunroof screen not much help to keep out sun

I own a Disco 2 and find the sunroof is not much help in keeping out the intense rays of the sun through that flimsy black screen that pulls across glass. I used to own a Ford Explorer and it had a button that you push and the cover was made of something that kept the sun out until the cover was opened.

Any suggestions on what to do to minimize the heat of the sun other than buying another SUV without a sun roof?

I enjoy driving my disco 2 but it takes some getting used to. Like the high back, I have trouble seeing out the rear window. I dropped the back seat to make viewing easier but I still managed to drive into a trash can that I didn't see, and my neighbor shouldn't have left it behind my disco.

Reply to
LEK383

Works OK for me but then I suspect the sun might be a bit stronger in your part of the world than it is in mine.

Turn on the climate control?

Only a trash can? Lesser cars in this part of the world disappear completely into that blind spot. This I don't like when driving along, you know they are there from occasional glimpses in the side mirrors but nothing in the interior one. Get used to checking behind before getting in if going to reverse and use the side mirrors.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There are reversing sensors available that you can fit yourself in a couple of hours, costing not a lot. I must get around to getting some for mine, as I have the same problem. Backed right over an old Nova in some traffic a few years back. I was still getting bits out of the tyres a year later.

Reply to
Rich B

Our local binmen have a warped sense of humour which involves leaving a wheelie bin

concealed just behind the spare wheel on bin days not something you could miss in an ordinary car.Derek

Reply to
Derek

LEK383> I own a Disco 2 and find the sunroof is not much help in LEK383> keeping out the intense rays of the sun through that LEK383> flimsy black screen that pulls across glass.

Would dark tinting film (the sort used on windows) do the trick?

LEK383> I enjoy driving my disco 2 but it takes some getting used LEK383> to. Like the high back, I have trouble seeing out the LEK383> rear window.

Not noticeably different from any other 4x4 I've driven. I'm used to a small car being invisible behind me, and I've always tended to use the wing mirrors more than the interior one. That habit started when I was first driving around in a van with poor rear visibility, and now I drive the Dakar with virtually no rear visibility without really finding it a problem - apart from the time I reversed into a tree and bent the spare wheel mount!

Park Distance Control can be fitted to give you a warning of trash cans, small children and other things that might scuff your bumper if you hit them. The "official" system (as fitted on the higher spec and later models, IIRC) is likely to be expensive, but I've seen kits in the UK for under GBP100.

Reply to
AndyC the WB

LEK383 uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Baseball cap.

Reverse in the driveway / Suspension lift and bigger tyres (tires), bollocks to the neighbours trash can.

:-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D