Suspension Bushes.

On or around Mon, 23 May 2005 21:40:23 +1000, "Samuel"

they're generally harder then the rubber ones, or have different elasticity characteristics. Can alter things like ride quality.
--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk my opinions are just that
In Touch: Get in touch with yourself by touching yourself.

elasticity
Do they make the ride firmer?? or just different?
i was under the impression that they perform almost identically, but last a lot longer.
Sam.
Samuel wrote:

There are two types of polyurethane bushes. The original red type are a lot harder than the rubber they replace, and will give a harsher ride. The more recent blue variety are designed to give an identical ride to the original rubber ones. My experience is that in some positions they are long lasting, but in others they do not last as long as the rubber. Also, they are more prone to wearing the hole they fit in than the rubber ones. The one definite advantage of the polyurethane bushes is that they are easier to fit or replace. Note however that there are a number of different brands of both colours and the quality and durability do vary. JD
enlightened us thusly:

Mind, there are those who advocate using the originals only.
meanwhile, on the subject of harsh ride...
been playing with he new (to me) minibus - talk about harsh ride. Fitted a size larger front tyres, run at lower pressure (40 lb, at the moment, instead of the 48 the book says, and reduced the rear pressures (vehicle is, to all intents, most of the time unladen) to 34 (twin wheels) - the book says 50-odd for them, which might be right if you have 1 tons in the back, or in the case of a bus, a dozen fat bastards. They were at about 46, which felt way too hard on the road. 34 rides much more nicely, and the tyres don't look noticeably soft, either.
--
Austin Shackles. www.ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk my opinions are just that
"Remember that to change your mind and follow him who sets you right

There's summat on Chris Perfect's site about hiring one, but you could probably rig something fairly cheaply.
Let me know how you get on - I've just ordered all the parts for mine.
--

Tim Hobbs

'58 Series 2 88" aka "Stig"