Series III gearbox?

Hi

Having left my '84 series III hardtop on the front drive for about 4 weeks while I stripped and painted the loadbay, replaced the seats, seatbelts etc, I have today tried to get her going for a trip out tomorrow with the following result.

She starts fine (I have at least started and run her for half an hour each weekend, although she hasn't turned a wheel) However, when I tried to get first gear the stick won't go into any of the 4 forward gears. Trying for reverse produces a horrible crunching, so I wonder if its the gearbox itself, or the clutch. I did at one stage manage to get it (delicately) into reverse, but she lurched backwards and almost totalled the neighbours shiny Ford, so I packed that in right away! Clutch??

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Neil Paxman

The clutch has rusted to the flywheel.

Solution. Make sure you have plenty of room in front of you, get the engine nice and warm, so it starts easily, then switch it off and put it into 1st gear. release handbrake, start engine (being ready for it to surge forward as it starts). Then drive in 1st gear, with foot down on clutch, and floor and release the throttle. This should break the clutch plate free from the flywheel. It would be wise to engage 4wd to do this, to protect the rear halfshafts. but NOT low range.

Reply to
SimonJ

Is there air or fluid in the clutch slave cylinder?

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd