help i'm in the doo doo's (I think?)

I bought a discovery 'from a shop', actually the shop wasn't really selling the vehicle but for a mate. I have now got the vehicle and have been using it for about 3 months. I have decided to do some work on it, and have just noticed that the chassis number is missing, there is just a deep gouge where it should be and the last remenants of the numbers appear to be obscured by X stamps.

The plate on the front bulkhead, by the rad also looks 'well dodgy'. But Stupidly i didnt notice when I brought it.

(It gets worse). I am still awaiting the logbook to arrive in the post, I have my 'buyers' half, but the new one hasn't arrived. Don't even ask about the receipt, this also hasn't arrived in the post............

What come back do you think I have on the shop that 'acted on behalf' of the seller? What comeback do I have on the actual seller? I have also done/had done about £500 worth of work to the vehicle? If I go to small claims do you think I have a leg to stand on against either party? I havent contacted the police yet as I want to contact both the shop and actual seller? Can I demand money back (with costs) legally?

Help and also does anyone have a leggit disco for sale

sobs of woe

???

Worst case....

If you don't have a receipt, you never actually bought it. It is not yours, you did not pay £200 and you never passed 'go'.

Either way, if it is nicked and ringed it belongs to the person who had it nicked (or their insurers).

First thing to do is ring HPI and do a check on it IMO.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Bad luck indeed

You need to inform the Poice at the earliest opportunity - today!

You purchased the vehicle in good faith but if it was say stolen you are in receipt of stolen property i.e. A Discovery. Should the real owner come on the scene you could have some awkward questions to answer.

Mind you could all be legit and just the DVLC dragging its heels. I once purchased an 18 moth old car from a Ford Dealer and was surprised over the next 2 months to get not one but three logbooks from Swansea.

Reply to
Ian

Ian came up with the following;:

We did it the other way and bought two cars ... but never got a logbook from DVLA, though the people we sold them onto did get them, thankfully. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Sounds like Let the buyer beware !

Reply to
Hirsty's

Have you checked out the registration number on the RAC website? You can at least see if the the number plate matches the vehicle.

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

I agree with Ian, you need to inform the police immediately. You need to look after No.1, the 'shop' will look after itself. If you wait and see what happens you may get into deeper doo doo's, and have a lot of explaining to do. Wolverine, Big Red 110 CSW.

Reply to
Wolverine

Especially as it is now on Usenet. MIght be a painful lesson though. Let us know if it works out OK.

Reply to
wayne

Your contract of sale (whether written or verbal) was made with the 'shop'.

may give you a key into the process of making a claim - however, you need to be very clear if (when) you make a claim, what you feel is 'wrong' and back this up with evidence. Just making a claim because you 'feel' something is wrong will not get very far.

Reply to
Mother