Swapping axles.

I have a set of Srs3 axels which I would like to fit on my Srs1, assuming that all sistems on the Srs3 are in good order, is it a straight bolt off, bolt on change?

Are there any pitfalls to look out for?

Are there any benifits ,other than the cheepness of spairs, in the conversion?

-- Your help is, as always, greatfully receved. Rory Manton

1957 109 Series One, Daisy 1965 Series 11 SWB GS , Rose.
Reply to
Rory Manton

The S3 axles are wider track by a couple of inches. I believe they are a straight swap otherwise (with track rod and drag link). May need longer front brake hoses as well. Also, if the S3 rear axle is a salisbury one you will need the prop shaft to match. Depending on which S3 they are off there could be issues with the wheel cylinders matching the master cylinder. You are likely to find you have an interesting mix of BSF, UNF and even metric threads rather than the BSF used on S1, but this should not be a problem if you change the complete units. Benefits - wider track means better turning circle, really worthwhile with a

109. (You will need to adjust the steering stops) Fully floating rear axle means wheel bearings and half shafts are a lot easier to change. JD
Reply to
JD

The SII/III axles are wider than a series one. It also depends on the springs you have fitted, as earlier S1 vehicles had different width springs to later S1 and SII, you'd have to check this. Other than that, you may have to change the master cylinder if the SIII axles are from a LWB, or a SWB with 11" drums. The S1 master cylinder won't move enough fluid. A Salisbury rear may require a modification to the propshaft, as the diff is a different length.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I don't find this problem if the brakes are bled and adjusted correctly. There are 4 pistons in either system (just considering the front axle). I dont know if there is a big difference in diameter?

Matt B

Reply to
Matt

On or around Tue, 20 Jan 2004 20:41:25 -0000, "Matt" enlightened us thusly:

not all the front axles are TLS, though. Especially earlier 10" ones and indeed maybe all 10" - certainly my 1961 SII had SLS front brakes.

this has the advantage that your brakes work well going backwards, something that TLS ones don't, typically.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yes I'm sure you are correct. But even with SLS, although there is just one cylinder per wheel, there are still two pistons. So from a hydraulic point of view there is no difference unless the bore is different.

Matt B

Reply to
Matt

On or around Wed, 21 Jan 2004 21:34:28 -0000, "Matt" enlightened us thusly:

not sure about the bore. But the "LWB" system has a bigger master cylinder, which they'd not fit for nothing, ISTR.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

LWB 11" system has a larger master cylinder than the SWB 10", the 1ton was fitted with an even bigger master cylinder, and remote serve. Later 11" systems used a tandem master cylinder.

Alex

Reply to
Alex