Tappets on a 1996 discovery 300 tdi

hi everyone. We have a strong ticking noise from the engine. A colleague says I have a dry tappet. What does he mean? and am i looking at a costly repair?

thanks

Carol & Jim R

Reply to
Jim Roberts

Hi all

I had a loud ticking from a tappet, just took the rocker cover off and reset them as per hand book and it went away.

Peter S

Reply to
Peter Seddon

On or around Sun, 28 Sep 2003 21:47:12 +0100, "Peter Seddon" enlightened us thusly:

could be that a "valve cap" (seriously, that's what they're called) has gone awol. Little steel hats on the top of the valve stems, between the valve and the rocker. 2 were missing on ours, when I got around to adjusting the valve clearances, though there was no very obvious noise - partly due to the black sound deadening thing on top of the engine doing its job.

replaced these (v. cheap, about 60p each, so I changed the whole set) and reset the clearances, made it noticeably faster...

when doing clearances, there's a caution about turning the engine over with excessive clearance, in case this unseats a pushrod from the tappet. Mind, I don't know what "excessive clearance" is, the clearance which resulted from the missing caps was over 1mm.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks guys.........will get the problem sorted soonest.

Carol & Jim

Reply to
Jim Roberts