Disco Anorak Question - Whats the metal wheel thingy

HI all,

While working on the brakes on my 98 disco this weekend, I notices that , on the front axle, just to the off-side of the front Diff, is a large cast iron wheel type thing...looks a lot like a barbell weight. What the #*^^ is it. It does not seem to perform any function that I can see, and it is driving me nuts trying to figure out why it is there. Landrover obviously had some bright reason for putting it there, but I cant figure it out.

Can anyone enlighten me.

Cheers Rob

Reply to
Robert

Hi Rob, that thingy is a "Anti vibration" device to take out any inbalance vibrations caused by the prop shaft. As the vehicle is permanent 4wd LR felt that it would assist in keeping everything running smoothly. Think of it as a harmonic balancer for your front diff.

Cheers

Phillip Simps>HI all,

Reply to
Phillip Simpson

Phillip,

Thanks for that, makes sense. Was driving me nuts trying to figure it out.

Thanks Rob

Reply to
Robert

To add to this, the mass & dynamics of the attached bits and pieces are such that they tend to oscillate around a lot during normal use (I thought it was the steering that was the problem, but I may be wrong here). The mass damper, for that is what it is called, alters the oscillation frequency so it's not so much of a problem.

There's also a piece of wire attached, so that if the mass damper falls off, it stops short of going through the windscreen of the vehicle behind.

David

Reply to
David French

On or around Mon, 29 Sep 2003 21:59:17 +0100, "David French" enlightened us thusly:

so that's why the wire is on it...

they don't fit 'em to 110s. did they get onto Range Rovers?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

They did on my 1993 Classic RR.

DaveP