taxing me landrover.

Anyone else having trouble with the online/phone renewals? I need to retax my 'historic' landrover. For days now i just get 'ther has been a technical error please try again later or use depending on whether I try via the web or phone. Imagine having to use the post office!!

Reply to
mark

You can only renew 14 days before the end of the month I seem to recall.

Otherwise you are already out of date.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I had the same problem when trying to SORN one of ours online and over the phone. I was definitely within the timescale as written on the notification letter. In the end I gave up and went to the local PO and did it there, luckily we still have a local PO.

Lizzy

Reply to
Lizzy Taylor

In message , Lee_D writes

Due on 1st of April. It says on the top that you shouldn't apply before the 5th day of the month before the tax disc is due to start.

Wont work in IE or FF.

Oh well post office it is then...........

Reply to
mark

Hi Mark

I have an idea that you can tax it ONLY 14 days BEFORE the renewal date

It should say it some where on the form

Good Luck

DieSea

Reply to
DieSea

Well, the directgov website happily says:

"You can renew your tax any day from the fifth day of the month."

and also

"If you prefer to tax in the last few days of the month, there is now an exemption from the offence of not displaying a tax disc. This exemption covers the first five working days of the month and allows time for the new disc to arrive in the post."

See

So it looks as if things have changed (other than the DVLA site not working!)

Simon

Reply to
ZeeZee

In message , ZeeZee writes

I'll not get a chance to go to the post office before Saturday so I'll try again.

Not just the webby, the phone system wont have it either!

I've never had any bother before. I've done all vehicles (half a dozen of the things) online ever since you could :)

Reply to
mark

On a reminder I just had for my Series 2 it says I can now tax it as soon as I get the reminder, no need to wait until the middle of the month now.

Reply to
Oily

'spect some pointy haired thick rimmed slitty glasses wearing "web designer" has tried to make the changes rather than a software engineer. You can always tell how well a site is written by how it handles errors, good ones produce sensible explantory messages with a unique error code. Bad ones just produce the same message for all errors with nothing to indicate what fell over.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

how kind, you can give them your money even earlier than is needed now! But I like the new 5 day exemption thingy...

andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Which will only apply if you have done the on line thing, Not otherwise much use as a road side excuse as you would be reported to the DVLA where they would check there records.

Just a heads up not to rely on is as a dodge till pay day for instance.

Not that I agree with the way vehicle excise duty is collected.. but that is a different thread all together.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Worryingly no link to the relevant legislation that may permit it.

Reply to
Dougal

Yebbut, it's exempt (for now)

Yebbut, you've got to pay first. :-)