TD5 Exhaust manifold Bolts

Do you mean are they studs? (threaded rod without a head) that screw in to the cyl. head.

I can't imagine what else they would be. I'm also aghast at rotton exhaust manifold studs on a 2002 engine. How long a warranty do you get with a new LR? Most new vehicles have a 3 yr warranty now, if LR do then get down to your dealer asap. If not, then get down there anyway and claim 'unfit for purpose'. No part of a new vehicle should rot away in 2 years, not even the exhaust pipe let alone engine studs.

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

Found it.

Warranty Questions Q. What is included under the Land Rover UK warranty? The manufacturing warranty on vehicles purchased in the UK covers any defect that is attributed to a manufacturing defect under normal use for a period of 3 years, unlimited mileage from the date of original registration (since 1st March 2002).

Anti Corrosion on perforated panels is covered for 6 years under warranty, however the vehicle must have an annual corrosion inspection by a Land Rover dealer.

For further details please refer to your handbook or contact your local Land Rover dealership.

Q. What are my responsibilities regarding the benefits of this warranty?

The vehicle must be registered and serviced to manufacturing recommendations. This will only apply to vehicles still in their original manufacturer's warranty.

end quote

This does not mean that the vehicle must be serviced by Land Rover, just serviced to their recommendations. Unless the service shedule mentions tightening or inspecting exhaust manifold studs then it should not make a difference whether its been serviced or not.

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

Hmm, yer clock is waaay out, ah sayed waaay out boy.

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

On or around Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:57:31 +0100, Colonel Tupperware enlightened us thusly:

V8s have bolts, not studs, holding their exhaust manifolds on.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

My V8 has studs and brass nuts?

Fergus

Reply to
fergus.kendall

Quick question proberbly a long answer involving more questions ;-)

Scenario: I have a 2002 TD5 110 Double Cab. THe exhaust manifold requires ten bolts one above and below each feed. At the end closest to the bulkhead one of the nut/bolt combo's seems to have rotted away near the engine block and the other nut had dropped off and was sitting in between the maifold feeds. When I put it back on that one sheared really easily too so I assume was rotton. I was only having a quick look as the exhaust is blowing and I was going to have-a-go at the weekend. Had to remove loads of plastic boxing and other stuff first to see where and why it was blowing. so anyways......

The Question: because both have sheared and I dont want to take the maifold off until the weekend to have a proper look and also becasue I have never done this end of an exhaust before. Are those bolt which have rotted threaded? I assume they are but assumption gets me nowhere sometimes.

Thanks in advance.....

regards,

Mark

Reply to
Mark

On or around Tue, 29 Jun 2004 23:39:29 +0100, "fergus.kendall" enlightened us thusly:

if it's a rover V8, it's an aftermarket job. sensible, mind.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Ive never looked that closely.

Well the OP did mention nuts and bolts, but I assumed he meant nuts on studs. Screwing bolts into alloy cylinder heads is not a good idea IMO. It does make for easier assembly though.

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

So I cried off doing it myself having thought about it, took the car to several garages and they wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Had to go to the local dealership who I detest as they are more into selling range rovers than fixing defenders. Told me I had to wait three weeks, I guess they dont really want to do the work either. They gave me a bunch of numbers for other places to try and grudgingly gave me an appointment to have the work done at the end of July. Its a shame I dont live closer to the dealers I bought it from, I dont mind the trek once a year to get the dealer service stamp for the log book, its just maddening that I get great service from a dealer 100 miles away and the one 1.5 miles away treat me like dirt they scraped off their shoes. Can anybody reccomend a place that they have used and recieved good service and a reasonable price in the Coventry/Leamington/Warwick area that isn't a Syntner dealership?

Regards.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

But if its a 2002 it is covered by the manufacturers warranty.

Isn't it?

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware