[Q] oil leak behind the intake manifolds

Hi, '92 Camry, 4 cyl (usa model), 100K miles developed a leak. First I noticed it on a drive way (passenger side, approximately at the same level as the wheel).

The type of lubricant: seems to be oil: yellowish, greasy.

As I started tracing it up, I saw the first traces on the back of the engine, I will try with a picture of the engine block (in 3d :-) )

--(=====)------ /| / --------------- |---------------

Reply to
90vtwin

The oil pump is located under the timing belt cover, passenger side, towards the back of the engine. It is down near the bottom of the cover...There is a large rubber gasket behind it that can leak as mine did. Its only about a $7 part but you have to get the timing belt covers off and may as well change the belt while in there..Not that easy of a DIY job. Dont know if that is your problem..... Let us know what you find.

Reply to
ROBMURR

(1) This is very common. I suspect they may all leak slightly at this mileage. The spark plug tube nuts are only torqued at 17 ft. lbs.. With repeated cycles of engine heating and cooling, plus the hardening of the gasket material over time, seepage often occurs.

(2) The engine is tilted toward the rear, so it is natural that valve cover leaks would appear there.

(3) Would suggest you re install the valve cover gasket. Be sure you're using the factory part. Also get some FIPG (form in place gasket) material. Be sure the gasket mating surfaces are completely clean and free of all contaminants. You might try using carburetor cleaner and a shop rag to wipe down that narrow "ledge" around the valves. Get it squeaky clean. Be sure to seal the four points noted in the Haynes repair manual (and in the factory service manual) - they are on each side of the curved sealing surfaces at the camshafts right where the curve meets the flat and forms a sharp angle. This is where you use the FIPG material. Do not use silicone sealer because the (acetate?) fumes can actually damage the oxygen sensor. If you're determined to use after market sealer, try Permatex Blue (I think) that's safe for O2 sensors. Tighten the spark plug tube nuts to 17 ft. lbs. The Haynes manual is in error on this point. The 29 ft. lbs. figure is for the lower portion where the spark plug tubes thread into the head.

(4) This is evidence that you don't want to ask that friend for any additional advice about your Camry. The oil pump is near the water pump, above the crankshaft pulley on the front of the engine.

(5) Don't disturb the intake manifold gasket. You'll be doing a lot of unnecessary work. There is no oil in the intake manifold - only air.

Try reinstalling the correct valve cover gasket, over clean sealing surfaces, using dabs of FIPG material at the cams, then report back if the leak is still there.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Hi, thanks for the replies. I am sure the valve cover gasket is not leaking. When I installed it, I did follow the manual and put the sensor safe gasket sealant in all the 8 places (4 on each side) (and cleaned with alcohol the contact area)

I am sure that the gasket is not leaking, because as I mentioned before, I cleaned up the engine and now I can see that there is no leak from the gasket.

The leak is somewhere close to where intake manifold is connecting to the block (on the passenger side). There is one insulated-looking wire (about 1/2 in diameter) and other things, that I cannot discern, all covered with grease (and that grease is for sure oil, as I stuck my fingers in there and it was the dark reddish color)

May be there are more than one leak, because the drops on the driveway are very light color. And to me it does not make sense, because oil should be dark reddish as around intake manifold gasket)(it is not synthetic). I checked power steering fluid and the hose that goes out of the fluid reservoir and it seems to be OK (I actually had wheels turned a couple of times while the car was running to observe is something leaking under pressure).

By the way, thanks for pointing out the torque specs on the spark plug cyl bolts. I did have them too tight (my torque wrench is 3/8 drive, but the 30 mm socket for those bolts is 1/2 -- so my torque wrench cannot be used (I just ordered a 1/2 drive inexpensive torque wrench ) -- but for now I just 'guesstimated' the torque).

I am thinking that will not be avoid to take everything out up to the cylinder heads... and may be then I will find one leak, and then the hunt for the second one will begin... :-(

I only can work on my mom's car on Sat and Sunday, so I wanted to ask if anyone has experience how long would it take for a newbie to do get to the cyl head gasket (the Haynes manual, I use, basically tells me that I have to flush out radiator fluids and take bunch of stuff out) .. I am afraid I will not have enough time (but if get there, I will replace bunch of gaskets and the timing belt, and whatever else I can find easy to replace)

Any other ideas/tips are greatly appreciated.

Reply to
90vtwin

Try spraying some cleaner in that area to isolate the component.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Reply to
Alex Marcuzzi

Hi, Alex I will try what you suggested this weekend. So far I have been working on struts (replaced the rear, also need to change the old fronts to Monroe)

I have put some pictures on the web site of where I am locating the oil leak (especially images t1 and t4), in case someone can interpret them.

thanks again, for all the help

Reply to
90vtwin

I have a similar problem that I have not been able to resolve. My is a Camry 92 V6-LE with 150K miles. I changed the valve cover gasket twice and redone the second time in the last 1.5 to 2 years (25K miles). Valve cover gasket is leaking again. And seems that from somewhere else too. I just did the leak test (wash the engine and put a dye in the oil). Mechanic tells me the leaks is mainly, from the back valve cover gasket. But I have a different symptom than

90vtwin. The oil leaks somewhere on the exaust manifold, as it burns and I have to breath the burned oil. Sometimes is really bad. Sometimes not so bad. Couple of days after I power wash the engine, the burned oil smell comes again. I guess I have to do the valve covers again, this time following all steps as detail by nospampls2002. But my question is, is there a chance that there is another leak somewhere else (the oil pump)? Or because of the burned oil symptom, is more likely it is the back valve cover? Thanks
Reply to
e-cri-cri

[...]

Guys, this is just too obvious, and I've got the 4 not the 6, but there is a replaceable gasket under the oil filler cap, and a grommet for the PCV valve in the valve cover - both can leak.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus