TDi rocker cover gasket

Hi group :)

In the context of a 300TDi with 200k miles on it (and going strong ;) ...

It looks like the rocker cover gasket needs to be replaced because it's bleeding oil. Looks like a lot, but the level at the dipstick isn't going down appreciably between my splash-dash 3k mile changes, so I'm hoping it's just the gooeyness of the oil making it look so bad!

Anyway, just wanted to ask all you experts if there were any particular things to watch out for when changing this gasket, and also if there are any causes, other than just old age, which cause this gasket to fail?

Cheers, K

Reply to
Kieran Turner

Mine leeches oil at the recirculation device on the left side at the top when viewed from the front, apparently there is an O-ring behind it that seals it to the head and this can leak oil as well. Having said that I have'nt done anything about it yet; neighbour (who runs local BT workshop and has Discovery 300 Tdi ) mentioned it.

Reply to
Hirsty's

Changing the gasket is a doddle. They do start to weep a bit after a while, and things often look a lot worse than they really are - but do keep an eye on the oil level. Mind you, the gasket should be being changed regularly when the tappets are checked............... ahem ;-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Mon, 15 Nov 2004 18:12:00 -0000, "Kieran Turner" enlightened us thusly:

there's an O ring on that breather gadget on the side of the head, which is next-to-useless. I replaced the one here, but it still leaks oil.

Reply to
Austin Shackles