Temp rises when moving ,series 3 petrol

Aye up lads n lasses, Does tha knaw owt abaat told temp gauge rising when ont move. Areight when still and ticking ova tha bugger just guse up when ont move and guse back daan after a bit when thas still. Ant a foggiest what its leking at as tha?

Any road sethe abawt. Adrian Ford

Reply to
Adrian Ford

"Adrian Ford" wrote

Does your fuel gauge also read wrong?

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Perhaps its insufficient cooling provided by the radiator. This could be a sludged up system or be a problem with the water pump. What colour is the water? Jon

Reply to
Jon

Hi, the temp gauge reads (halfway) normal even when the engine is warm. Then when I start driving it rises upto just below red and will not rise any higher.When I stop again (engine running) the temp lowers back down to half way again. Not sure if its an cooling system problem or a running gear problem. The water is blue as has been changed recently and cannot find any visible problems. Could it be the thermostat, maybe the brakes binding as the rear wheels seem warm when I have been driving or is this normal.

Not sure where to start Adrian Ford

Reply to
Adrian Ford

so Adrian Ford was, like...

Ey up, tha mun write to this group in proper English, tha knows. Nobbut a few o't readers onderstan Tyke, like. If tha wants to post in Tyke, tha can use Babbelfish or sommat like. Then aal't folks can see what tha's on abaaht. Otherwise, they'll think tha's nobbut laikin abaht.

  • Some posts to this group have been in French and Italian, and readers with a working knowledge of the language have courteously posted translations into English for the benefit of other readers. I offer this post in the same spirit.

Tha knows.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

In message , Adrian Ford writes

A friend of mine had an Austin Ambassador. Fully laden with family etc., he got halfway across France before the overheating at speed got too much for them all.

The French garage could find no problem. As he stood in front of the car with his phrase book in hand, he noticed that the fan was blowing hot air at his legs. It had been wired that way from new....

Reply to
Bill

It's not the brakes, and yes it'll all get hot - the hub will get hot - so will the tyres and the brakes work by converting mechanical energy into heat (and noise). If the temperature never goes out of normal - then don't worry too much..... My guess is that it's the water pump. It's still working enough to get some water flow -but when the engine is really running fast it is just spinning rather than pushing the water around. To check the thermostat is opening touch the top hose (thermostat housting to top of the radiator), if this is hot (water temp will be about 78C), then the thermostat is either stuck open or working fine - if it is cold / warm then it's the thermostat. Best of luck! Jon

Reply to
Jon

"Adrian Ford" wrote >

I ask again, does your Fuel Gauge read accurately?

The reason I ask is that it is a common fault on S111's that there is a bad connection behind the instrument panel which usually causes problems for both dials as they don't get the proper amount of power and read wrong. It could cause a problem for one dial though. My S111 temp was like yours, always up on the red, and the fuel gauge was inaccurate.

Behind the instrument panel are two studs with knurled nuts holding on electrical connections, these get corroded and loose. Undo the nuts sufficient to clean the connections, grease them very lightly with Vaseline and tighten. Do not remove the nuts, you will drop them never to be seen again. Oh and watch you don't break the indicator switch selfcancelling lugs off and check all wires/connections are as they should be as you reassemble. Hope you have small hands too. :-)

Reply to
Bob Hobden

I thes allas one.

Adrian Ford

Reply to
Adrian Ford

so Adrian Ford was, like...

Well, tha doesn't keep a dog and bark thysel'.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

What the eck are you onabawt dunt mek no sense that reply! Who med thee God anyway?

(I wish you worked on batteries as I am sick of Winding you up!)

Adrian Ford

Reply to
Adrian Ford

In news:dh1u7t$ob8$ snipped-for-privacy@news7.svr.pol.co.uk, Adrian Ford typed: | Aye up lads n lasses, | Does tha knaw owt abaat told temp | gauge rising when ont move. Areight when still and ticking ova tha | bugger just guse up when ont move and guse back daan after a bit when | thas still. Ant a foggiest what its leking at as tha? | | Any road sethe abawt. | Adrian Ford

Two possibilities - either it really is overheating, or the guage says it's overheating & it's not.

Check the actual heating situation first as it's likely the easiest to diagnose - a capillary guage is the best to compare with. If it's a false reading then check the voltage stabiliser first, hence other requests to you enquiring if the fuel guage is also erratic.

If it is overheating, could be the thermostat (special one in Series vehicles, and MUST be fitted like it or not else you WILL overheat it), radiator blocked, block blocked, pump not working ....

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher