Thinking of converting Disco Series I to propane or nat gas - any testimonials, advice?

This is a wild hair, but if I didn't want to wait for a hybrid I could afford, how difficult would it be to convert my 1996 Land Rover Disco to gas? It only has 60,000 miles on it. Seems like a righteous alternative.

Since I'm in Colorado, perhaps biodiesel is another option. (Can you tell I wouldn't be doing this work myself?)

Thanks

Reply to
Michelle Rosehoff

In message , Michelle Rosehoff writes

Assuming it's a V8 petrol, then it is quite straightforward to convert to propane. In fact one of the best kits for this engine is made in the US by IMPCO. There equipment was designed initially for marine use on Buick V8 which was the parent of the LR engine. Identical equipment is made by another US company called Nolffe, formed by ex-IMPCO employees I believe. Possible location of tank(s) depends on which version of Disco in particular whether it has air suspension.

Not an option on a petrol engine.

Reply to
hugh

Just to confirm matters. If the engine is a diesel, you can't convert it. Peter

Reply to
Peter

Diesel cars can also burn propane or gas. This was not possible in the past but for the last two years systems have been introduced for diesel cars also. They operate as mixed systems burning both diesel and lpg or gas on the same time and offer significan improvement on performance and fuel consumption.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

On or around Thu, 6 Nov 2003 18:27:51 -0000, "Peter" enlightened us thusly:

not strictly true. You can run it on a mixture of diesel and propane.

Reply to
Austin Shackles