Thinners - Standard or Anti Bloom?

I'm in the throes of repainting the decker panel of my '88 Range Rover and have located a supplier of spray-able paint after finding that Rover want about £6 for a thimble sized aerosol can (albeit with an equal quantity of lacquer).

Must I use Anti-Bloom thinners or can I use Standard thinners when spraying with a compressed air spray kit.

BTW the paint is a metallic called Caspian Blue.

All my previous vehicle spraying has been with non-metallic colours and I used Standard thinners (apparently) without problems.

TIA Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Rule-of-thumb guide, If the weather is particularly damp and wet then use Anti-bloom, Or if the temperature is less than about 60°C. Remember that Anti-bloom thinner is much slower drying than standard or top gloss thinners which can easily lead to runs or sags if you pile too much paint on.

Having said that, Caspian Blue metallic is a twin-pack colour that requires a lacquer coat, Unless of course your paint supplier can mix in alternative formulae.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

Thanks Steve,

Bearing in mind the sudden drop in temperture - hello Autumn - I guess that I had better seek out some Anti-Bloom thinners. I was aware that the Caspian Blue requires a top coat. Is there anything I can do with regard to choice of lacquer now that the weather has taken such a turn for the worse? I seem to recall that lacquer top coats are dreadfully sensitive to moisture in the air.

Amazingly, SHMBO has offered the kitchen as a warmer alternative to either of my normal spraying locations - an unheated shed or the garden!

Regards Richard

BTW the paint came from Halfords!

Richard Savage

Don't spray in the house. You'll be gaging for weeks...how are you going to get a Rangie in the Kitchen ?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Would be interested in knowing how you got on with this as Bruce is going to strip and respray the replacement rear tailgate on the RR, which is also Caspian Blue, before the weather gets really nasty.

Reply to
Nikki

Decker panel removed for windscreen wiper motor replacement ;-(

Seriously tho', I was going to run the Expelair while spraying.

Richard ;-)

Reply to
Richard Savage
[snip]

Aggh not Halfraud's, Surely Halford's don't sell two-pack paint products that contain isocyanate to the unsuspecting public?.

I'd hazard a guess at their paint being an acrylic type and they should be able to supply a similar lacquer to go over the top of their own basecoat. Do Halford's have their own mixing section now?, With reference to you wanting anti-bloom thinners would suggest they mix paint as well as selling areosols. Personally I'd use a different paint supplier but that may not be an option for you.

It is not advisable to cross-mix paint formats, If you use Halford's paint (whatever it is they use) you should also use their lacquer or at least one that is compatible with their basecoat.

Try and wait for a sunny day, There is bound to be a few left even in September. You can however get away with slight blooming because it will simply polish off, Heavy blooming of course will not :(

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

Hello Steve,

No it's not two-pack paint. Yes they do mix colours - I was very impressed by the number of colours that went into my Caspian Blue - and sell them in aerosol or liquid form. The facility is not unlike the Dulux etc mixing stands in the DIY sheds. Oh, and it's not their own brand but some outside supplier as far as I can make out. The colour mixing chap at my local Halfrauds (like it!) is very sniffy about their 'public shelf' aerosols. They do stock at least two type of thinners and a top coat.

I would rather have gone elsewhere but needs must unfortunately.

Rgds Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

I was happy with the Scarlet Mica that went on the 101. I was a bit worried when I had to go back for some more mixing, but it was spot on.

The aerosols I used as colour testers were crap.

The bloke mixing the paint was a big fan of 101's, so I was double happy!

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

I should let you have a stock of application forms for the club :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

I never said he could spell, or even that he knew his own name...

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Perfect candidate - we'll have him!

Martyn

Reply to
Mother
[snip]

One of these days I'll peruse Halford's even if it's just and have a look at their paint colour system. :)

I'd rather go to a more knowledgeable motor factors when I need bits but my nearest is miles away so to save time and a journey I usually pop into Motor World which is within walking distance from my home.

But why do the salesman at Motor World jump on you like spiders on flies or flies on sh*t as soon as you walk into the shop offering help when your quite capable of finding your own components/accessories etc?.

Regards,

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

On or around Thu, 25 Sep 2003 22:42:27 +0000 (UTC), Stephen Hull enlightened us thusly:

Probably 'cos they've just moved everything around in the shop.

actually, they're trained thusly, Halfords ditto, although Halfords droids seem to be a) better trained and b) obviously are told to leave the customer wandering around looking baffled for 5 minutes before offering help.

Reply to
Austin Shackles
[snip]

I'd much prefer being left alone to peruse around, If I need help or further information then I'll ask :)

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

On or around Fri, 26 Sep 2003 17:24:35 +0000 (UTC), Stephen Hull enlightened us thusly:

me too. mind, if I tell the Halfordsdroids that I'm OK, they leave me alone.

Reply to
Austin Shackles