Tire choice POLL

Hi i have a newly acquired S11A 88 and want to change to the 16 inch rims regular type. What tire choices can any one recommend. also how much are 16 inch rims factory type going for. are they a direct replacement?

Canadian Land Rover enthusiast

Reply to
anon

On or around Tue, 27 Dec 2005 00:42:44 GMT, anon enlightened us thusly:

dunno about Canada... but in general:

standard size tyres for the IIA would have been 6.00x16 or 6.50x16 crossply.

The factory at some point said that all SWB series vehicles could be fitted with 205R16 radials.

A popular fitment is to get the wider LWB rims, and fit either 7.50R16 or

235/85R16, as per the LWB models, which increases your diff clearance and may make your speedo inaccurate, but that's easily checked if it bothers you. You can keep to standard SWB wheel diameter by fitting 235/70R16 on LWB rims, but there's not much point - if you're going up to LWB width rims, you might as well have the extra height and clearance. if you go with standard SWB rims, you're restricted in the tyre width - 205 are OK, but any wider look a bit wide for the rim. Not that this means some people don't fit 'em, but you wouldn't, ideally.

There's still a reasonable choice in 205R16, although even they seem to be diminishing. If you go with the LWB rims, there's more choice.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

That's a 'how long is a piece of string' question!

If you want any sensible replies you should define how and in what conditions you intend to use the vehicle.

Reply to
Dougal

To shorten the piece of sting for you!

Question 1: Are 16 inch rims a direct replacement for a 1969 Series 11A ?

Question 2: What offset are 16 inch rims to fit the above model?

Question 3: What tire sizes fit with the 16 inch rims that would not cause any rubbing.

Question 4: Through experience, are there any particular makes/models that have proven themself to be a good off road tire, mud e.t.c.?

Awaiting sensible replies.

Reply to
anon

I don't think BF Goodrich can be beaten for wear or performance. If your driving conditions are likely to risk punctures then a cheaper remould may be a better option.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

It's what they left the factory with, so yes they are a direct replacement.

AFAIK this info is incomplete as I am aware of at least one more offset available on original LWB wheels, but the wheels in question are 100 miles from here so I can't measure them.

A 1969 SWB would originally have had 600x16 tyres. The radial replacement is 205R16.

A 1969 LWB would have had 750x16 tyres. The radial replacement is either a 750R16 or a 235/85R16.

Either of the above sizes will fit on a SWB and no cause any rubbing or fouling. Be aware that the larger sizes should be use don LWB rims that are wider than those originall fitted to SWB models.

That said, a lot of Landrovers here (including one of mine) are running on 31/10.5R15s which give a wider footprint that is useful when driving in sandy conditions.

I have a set of 235/85R16 Dunlop MT2s that are an awesome mud tyre, but wear abominably on the road. I've also got a set of Kumho Powerguard MTs that perform well off road (but are not a particularly aggressive mud tyre) and seem to be wearing well on the road.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Thu, 29 Dec 2005 00:38:38 GMT, anon enlightened us thusly:

yes. standard tyres were 6.00x16 or 6.50x16.

If I were you, I'd talk to LR owners clubs. Generally, standard series rims are easily got - there are always people who decide to fir 8-spokes, or 15" rims, or whatever. May not be so easy in Canada, but it's a place to start.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 29 Dec 2005 00:38:38 GMT, anon enlightened us thusly:

I've already said it once, I don't generally reckon on repeating meself.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

hi, the "Awaiting sensible replies" comment was reserved for the the abrupt person who answered after you had answered me initially, and not whatsoever intended for you. Thank you very much in your response as it has made the sizing issue quite clear to me now.

Canadian 11A owner.

Reply to
anon

On or around Fri, 30 Dec 2005 02:21:29 GMT, anon enlightened us thusly:

's OK. You get the odd one or tow that asks a question, patently fails to read any replies and then asks the same question again.

I'm glad to see you're not such a person.

BTW, might add that my comments on tyre size refer to standard LR series or

90/110 rims. If you get wider 3rd party rims, then you can fit monster tyres.

Disco steel wheels are wide, too: 7J16. But they have a different offset, and may not fit right on a series without a spacer kit.

Reply to
Austin Shackles