What's a good tire recommendation?

Hi,

1996 GMC Suburban K2500 4X4 3/4 Ton.

Well, it's time to get new tires and I'm would like some suggestions. What do you think of Pirelli Scorpions?

The old tires are BF Goodrich LT265/75R/16 all terrain. These have performed well but have worn out in about 30K miles.

What's the largest size tires I can get away with? The vehicle does not have any suspension modifications.

Thanks!

Reply to
Anonymous

I personally would stick with the BFG A/T's! If you REALLY want something different, Michelin LTX A/T would be my next recommendation. Third would be the Goodyear Wrangler AT/S. As for going taller, you WILL NEED to have your computer recalibrated to compensate if you do. Speedometer, shift points, converter lock-up, and such, will be adversely effected. As for tire size, 285/75-16 will fit on the stock rims and suspension. If your rims are narrower than 7inch however, you will have a bit too much sidewall flex and the vehicle will feel somewhat unstable. 265's are available in BFG load range D, Goodyear in load range C and E, and Michelin in load range C, 285's are only available in the BFG's and Goodyear's, both with load range D. I only did a quick check on Tire Rack,

. There might be more load ranges available through someone else, the same for sizes of the three.

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Matt Levene (aka Shades)

I'm on my second set of Michelin LTX on my 92 S10 Blazer. They have a great ride and decent snow and rain traction. I drive highway only. Rarely ever drive on gravel. I have 91K on my current set and they are in need of replacing. My last set got around 89K if I remember right.

Good tires. If you look at the sipes on them, they go all the way down. Goodyear and other only go halfway down. The dealer told me this allows for better traction and wear. I believe him so far.

Lannie

Reply to
LS

I also have about 30K on my BFG All Terrain T/A KO's. Gonna have to replace them after winter. Will be doing brakes and tires. I'm looking at the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo II's. They have a nice looking tread pattern and will probably get better wet traction than these have given me. I'm unimpressed with that aspect of my BFG's, they suck in the rain, to be blunt, and considering how much rain we've had, 3 inches more than avg. so far this year, if next year is the same I'll REALLY want better tires...

Reply to
Mike Levy

LTX AT 265 16 great tire. 65,ooo on mine and they are still going strong 25 gmc hd

Reply to
Gary Lawrence

i have a set of toyo open country A/T's on my 2000 trk and love them. there LT245-75-16 dontgo off road enough to say i do, BUT have been in some good wet mud and they were great.

Reply to
Charles H.

I''ve got a pair of BFG AT/KO on the rear and so far theye brought me 45000K and still about 6to 8 mm left, altough i''ve got a rough riding style. Great tyres, stick with them!

Marc (the flying Dutchman) ''88 K15004X4 schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Marc

You want the best get toyo open country +4

Reply to
Jeff

Depends on what you're looking for!! do you want long wearing mileage? quiet highway driving? extreme offroad traction? punction resistance??? and don't say ALL OF THE ABOVE, cause you won't get it in one tire. I'm a hunter, and take my 91 K1500 way further than I should into the bush...the tires the truck came with had rocks put thru them the first time out...

I looked around and landed on a set of Kelly tires....TrailMark D/T (deep tread). VERY aggressive tread, 8 ply, E load range, and very strong. They do howl on the highway, but have big tread blocks and grooves that seem to deal with water quite well. However, in the bush, they are hard to beat. I have YET to put a rock thru em (on my 3rd season now)...and snow performance is unreal....i'm sure the aggressive tread has something to do with it. Towing performance is great as well....pulling a fully enclosed 22 foot racecar trailer with a pro-street car loaded up caused the truck to sag some (even with overloads on it), but the tires did NOT bulge as I expected...

I've got aobut 38,000 km on them now, and they are about at the "halfway point". I'd say another 25K KM will be it for em, so thats decent wear for an aggressive tire...about the same as the BFG a/t's. I like mine because they are different...most people ask "where'd ya get those"!!

Hamilton Audio

Click on the link above and locate some possibilities for tires and you can compare them. It is a fairly objective comparison and it covers ALLOT of aspects of tires!

Reply to
Matt Levene (aka Shades)

I have a 97 yukon with stock suspension and I just replaced my 285/75-16 BFG AT ko's with ProComp All Terrains of the same size. So far I really like them. They are the only all terrain tire with both a 50000 mile warranty and severe traction rating in all 50 states. I got them buy 3 get 1 free but I think that sale ended on Halloween. Check 4 Wheel Parts. By the way I got

58000 miles out of my BFG's. The ProComps look a lot like the BFG's.
Reply to
Slash

I agree with you.

If you want something that will last forever and never get punctures, the harder the better, But don't expect to ever leave the pavement, and carry chains for winter.

I live in the northern part of Canada. (Too far I think. I grow weary of paying $5.50 for 4 litres of milk, and 95.5 cents per litre for gas)

I drive in some very treacherous conditions. I just purchased 4 new BFG A/T for my 4wd Yukon and am very happy with the traction and handling.

I have also ran Hankook Z36 and was quite happy with the overall traction and wear of them.

Reply to
Chevguy